United States of Politics in 2018

Discussion in 'Politics' started by scratcho, Mar 30, 2018.

1. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

If you give each one a million dollar home, you just made affordable housing about 10 times worse for those that aren't homeless or poor. Obviously the same applies if you make it $100K homes.

2. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

So you're saying facts and science are leftist, and you Trumpies have no truck with that? Figures.It explains why your posts consists of simple-minded slogans. Did you ever graduate from college? Did you ever graduate from high school? Did you ever finish eighth grade?

3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Well too bad homelessness isnt a crime. So looks like your plan won't come to fruition. Aw.

so I hope you get on board with allocating those funds you're obviously willing to spend to mental health services and drug addiction programs for the homeless instead

Lynnbrown likes this.
  4. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

One dude? Who was it? When was it? When did "the homeless openly admit they stay there because they have the city provide them with showers, a mail service, etc. I don't thing "the homeless" openly or secretly did anything as an entity.

Lynnbrown likes this.
  5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I can't believe I'm even entertaining a conversation with someone who advocates rounding up the homeless and putting them in jail. I think I'm done with this conversation.

6. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

In Oklahoma the legislature just released its plan to help reduce the burgeoning prison population, which is eating the state alive. Looks like NotMyRealName wants to reverse that. He has no concept of what he's talking about.

Meliai likes this.
  7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

He probably has money invested in the privatized prison system. Thats the only logical explanation I can come up with to explain his point of view

8. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Sure it is. It called vagrancey and yes you can be arrested and jailed for it. Done for a fact in some Republican run portions of our country. Not one tent city to be seen.

The funding is paid for by the work provided in return. It's already been done historically. This isn't a new mousetrap.

9. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Put prisoners to work. Saves tons of $$$ an super simple. They used to build and maintain roads with them. No somehow it's somehow cheaper to pay a private company millions to do it.

10. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

You're talking slave labor camps. Yeah, its already been done historically. So evil. Back to the chain gangs. I guess Hillary was right about the deplorables.

11. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Nothing slave labor about the CCC or other work programs we had in the 30s.

If we can pay a person the $18 or so we currently do in the private sector road work, we can provide the same humane working conditions to prisoners without the $18 an hour being spent. Probably more like 3-4 in cost of housing etc.

12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Doesnt surprise me this is a thing. The human race never fails to disappoint!

Doesnt make it right

And I dont know if you're trying to justify the moral quandry of rounding up the homeless and throwing them in jail or if you're just naive or if you're being deliberately dishonest but jails do not offer the sort of mental health or drug addiction treatments that the chronic homeless need

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

And by the way, the CCC had nothing to do with prisoners. The CCC was a program that created jobs for the unemployed and imoroved America's parks and infrastructure at the same time. It stimulated the economy and helped bring America out of the Great Depression

And the jobs were paid.

Whereas you're advocating that we stop paying construction workers, just put all those doing work on roads with a government contract out of work and replace them with unpaid labor

The CCC seems pretty antithetical to your belief system to be honest. Why did we pay all those people when we could have rounded up vagrants and made them work for free?

14. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Without poor people to exploit, your preferred politicians would need to rethink their marketing strategy

15. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

2 different things. The work programs were designed to put people that needed food housing and a job to work. No criminals.

Using incarcerated prisioners to work is just another way to help make them productive.

And I will dispute your claim that prisons don't provide drug rehab and mental health help. In the U.S .the prison systems are already the primary health Care system for the mentally ill. There are a lot more people sent to jails with mental problems than sent to mental hospitals or institutiins. They already have more resources devoted to it.

Give the homeless choices. Incarceration, or a work program. For those that are addicted to drugs or are mentally unstable, incarceration is their pathway to help.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  16. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

+1000

17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Thats a huge problem then. I honestly have no idea why anyone would say this like its a good thing

18. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

It became prisons because we don't fund enough for mental health issues in this country. So it fell onto the shoulders of the penal program.

Not saying I like the reality, but let's try and make some good from it.

19. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Why not have a way to government subsidize (and ask for public donations) homeless shelters to provide rehabilitation and housing to help them get back on their feet. People who are convicted of crimes should be in prisons, not homeless people.

Meliai likes this.
  20. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

I'm totally fine with that. Further, we could have less harsh levels as part of the penal system. It doesn't have to be the slammer.

However drug use, defecating on public land, isn't legal activity. Choosing not to arrest them, doesn't mean it's right. Look I'm not trying to be unsympathetic to homeless. There are working poor that are stuck in a bad cycle. Those need the most assistance.

I just don't think making them as comfortable as possible will do anything to diminish it.

California is where this country is headed if we don't stop the cultivation of providing comfort at the cost of tax dollars.