unique animal/creature/things not written about in fantasy books.

Discussion in 'Fantasy Books' started by crewcut, Apr 23, 2014.

1. crewcut

crewcut Member

Hi all,

I've come to scour the minds of seasoned readers of sci-fi/fantasy lit.
    I would like to conduct a creative exercise in which we (random forum posters) construct a fictional species of animal that would have some impact, great or small in a fantasy world.

Look at reality and how much animals play a role... we use them for companionship, transportation, food, materials, hell we even use some as drugs.
    Plus, we are animals of a sort ourselves, certainly the dominant species (until the Great Dolphin Uprising of 2055, wait that was a Simpsons episode)

So, the goal is thus:

Create something unique, not just some thinly veiled mimicry of something already out there. Format to get underway:

Habitat:
    Description:
    Relationship with humans:

& hopefully this is an appropriate area of forum... its for fantasy lit.

2. fleamailman

fleamailman Member

("...well now, if you want an impersonation of an ape I could try to be a human for you..." mentioned the goblin who didn't mind humans much but didn't really care for them either, before turning back to the duke, explaining "...I don't know this section, nor whether it has the readership of our writersforum section of this forum, but if you ever find that this section is unresponsive to your requirements, just keep me company then, you'll know where to find me now...")

3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i would say visit fur affinity, deviant art, or ArtStation. better yet all three.

personally my own interest is more in the direction of alien world cultures, worlds and environments.

i have one of my own. two actually. a planet with many more nations and cultures then i personally know,
    as any world would have. i call that world lananara. the other is a post ecopocalyptic earth furrys have inherited.

sorry about the humans, on my earth they've all mutated or went extinct. lananara, they'd have to bum a ride to get there,
    a very long ride.

habitat? more diversity of habitat then humans can imagine.
    in my own little forested and mountainous region most live either by themselves or in group marrages who share a bond of some common interest.

we're born looking sort of like a cross between a cat and a mustalid, except with a super economy size brain and 8 fingers on EACH fore and hindpaw, two legged stance and green fur.
    but with recombinant genetic technology and six months of treatments, we can (on lananara) have ourselves altered to look any creative way we each individually feel like.
    (and almost everyone does)

we prefer to build everything small and comfortable rather then large or wasteful. this goes for the form factor of infrastructure as well as houses and other construction.

you want i should write you a whole book to give a complete description of either?
    i doubt i'll get around to that, but i can show you what my parts of both worlds generally look like if you visit my gallery page on furaffinity.net/user/themnax.