Unconventional work-places: You don't have to be mad to work, but...

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by odonII, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Does it guarantee a raise?

2. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

omg i did that too....worst job ever.

3. odonII

odonII O

No. Judging by the noticeboards in that documentary - it's aggressive targets that get you more money.

4. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

I really hope I never have to do something like that.

5. odonII

odonII O

I wasn't being serious. ;) But, yeah, sales do tend to have quite high targets : ( - I'm not sure how it works with the company in the doc'. We had targets, too. But not so bad.

6. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

Music at work is quintessential. ALWAYS. If you can play your iPod, listen to the radio, sing, even for a fleeting moment throughout the workday, it's awesome.

7. lively_girl

lively_girl Member

Haha, I meant sales in general ;).

That helps. Great coworkers are more important, though.

8. odonII

odonII O

I think I might put some music on now, actually.

*taps toe*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhrAunm2f5U"]Glen Templeton - That's My Job - YouTube

9. odonII

odonII O

We tend to get a little mixed up here it seems :) Or is it just me?

Not if you live with them, too. Jeez. NIGHTMARE.

10. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I would frankly find the the sing-a-longs and banana suits insulting. It comes across to me as a way to manipulate people into being more productive without paying them.

Nothing wrong with a bit of fun, but not as a tool of manipulation, imho.

11. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I was once an assistant volunteer in an art therapy class.Being schizophrenic myself certainly helped in understanding the people I was working with.We created some great art together.

12. odonII

odonII O

Why work for Save Britain Money
    Despite challenging economic times SBM is experiencing continuous growth and are always on the lookout for talented individuals to join our hard working teams. Our office based roles benefit from:

Competitive Salaries
    Industry Leading Bonus and commission structures
    Modern offices
    Career Structure
    Tea round and free fruit
    Free car parking at our Swansea HQ
    Training and development
    Staff recognition schemes
    Friendly atmospheres [​IMG]

13. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

how many companies advertise themselves as offering shit pay and insulting incentives to get twits to jump through hoops?

14. odonII

odonII O

It was a joke.

I could have flattered him by posting:

“I envisaged a sterile, soulless place full of disillusioned, miserable, failed young people. I couldn’t have been more wrong. It surprised me to find that very few people were unhappy working at the call centre.”

Angharad, who is writing a blog on her experiences, said: “Managers worked at keeping their workforce motivated by organising social events, charity days and numerous other incentives.

“Nev even went as far as to instigate a game of egg roulette (like Russian Roulette, but with eggs) and a bean eating competition to determine the winner of a sales battle, which incidentally happens to be one of my filming highlights.

“I’ve never been in an environment where the CEO of the company knows most of the staff by name and gets so involved in their working and personal lives to ensure they perform.

His eccentric ways even extended to the production crew, who after months of filming, felt like part of the family."

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/film-tv/call-centre-boss-nev-wilshire-4197318

I have no idea what the salary is there. And I'm not really bothered what it is. I don't work there.

15. IamnotaMan

IamnotaMan I am Thor. On sabba-tickle. Still available via us

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/08451113111/33

2000 complaints per month on unsolicited calls it seems- on the energy company alone. This is just people OUTSIDE the "dont call"(TPS) list.
    hasnt been charged with any criminal activity on this - has a former energy minister on his payroll.

I've also heard he scams contractors, as well as the public in some ways.

My guess is that he's less bent than he was, but still a shyster.
    The company reminds me of a mix of the Hitler Youth and a cult.

Most of the staff must be suffering from mental trauma working there. I suppose the ones that remain must have some sort of Stockholm Syndrome.

Imagine if every gobby sales scammer rang people up as often as Wilshire.
    I bet they dont ring his house.

Sunday Times should be ashamed of themselves for recommending this guy, IMO. He must be spending a lot of his profits on pr. (I suspect its not on wages!)

16. odonII

odonII O

IamnotaMan

Since I spread my personal details around, I have had more cold-calls than I once had.
    Mostly texts, though.
    I can understand that if some elderly people are getting calls like this, it might upset them.
    There should be better methods to stop them being called than there are (free devices to hook up to their phone etc).
    Although, It does always seem people try and use the elderly as an emotional argument too many times.
    'Oh, some old lady is going to lose 75p a year due to tax changes, how dare they'- Yeah, like their world is going to fall in. :D
    But you also get the type of people (of all ages) that think it's obscene for anybody to dare call them at all.
    Dare call them after 5:30 PM etc.
    And one or two calls every now and again, is targeted harassment - akin to persecution of the Jews (although I probably shouldn't fall into Godwin's Law).
    I can pick out a few of those types of people in your link.
    I'm not sure why some people get very few calls and others get quite a few.
    Maybe they have applied for all manner of loans, services etc - I dunno.

They didn't, I don't think. It's based on on employee feedback. I guess you think he filled in every single questionnaire.

17. IamnotaMan

IamnotaMan I am Thor. On sabba-tickle. Still available via us

Proof that "dear Nev" is actually a bit of a cocksucker.
    I'm sure plenty more is available.

I didnt even know about the new nuisance call reporting thing.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/nuisance-tv-call-centres-fined-100816600.html#TmuBqkA

Its not just the nuisance calls, its the fact his staff are poor and forced to cheat the public just to pay their living expenses.