umphreys mcgee

Discussion in 'Grateful Dead and Phish' started by kramsy, May 30, 2007.

1. kramsy

kramsy Member

didn't see a thread about these guys so i started one. i was introduced to them recently and fell in love. hopefully i'll be seeing them in brooklyn this summer! my fav song is "in the kitchen"

2. hippie-McHipperson

hippie-McHipperson Member

I hope to be there too. Umphreys absolutely rocks! You will be blown away, there is nothing like an um show. Check out some of their shows on archive.org - studio stuff is good but doesnt compare to live shows. 12/1/06 is a great one (im biased though cause I was there) - the brooklyn show looks like a pretty cool outdoor venue. It would be hard to choose a fovorite song but Bridgless, Divisions, All in Time, Great American, Hurt Bird Bath... theyre all up there, but anything where they hit a good jam is great. Most of my favorites arent on studio albums (when Jake was asked if they ever tried to put Bridgless on a studio album he said that it was like trying to put lighting in a bottle), but Local Band Does OK is my favorite studio album. Jake mentioned that they were working on another new studio album that should be more progessive and comlex like an Anchor Drops, which I am highly anticipating.
    I could go on and on about umphreys.

P.S - Jake Cinninger will melt your face off

3. hippie-McHipperson

hippie-McHipperson Member

4. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

ill be seeing them tomorrow.

5. veroness

veroness There's only one :)

tea leaf green is opening for them tomorrow in PA with umphreys. you should check them out too.

6. 2cesarewild

2cesarewild I'm an idiot.

I like the fuzz, that's some funky shit. Have shit tons of their recordings but for some reason I hardly ever find myself listening to them lol, same thing with moe sci and phish.

7. eman resu

eman resu Senior Member

Umphreys is the shit i have seen them like 20 times and they always put on a killer show, atleasst most of the time.

8. rebubla72

rebubla72 Member

i just put up the link to their summer camp set if you're interested - it's under the moe. summer camp goodness thread...peace

9. eman resu

eman resu Senior Member

Summercamp was SICK.

10. C.D

C.D Member

They are awesome. I saw them not too long ago. One of my all time favorites.

11. Half A Sandwich

Half A Sandwich Member

I dont get UM. whats so special. I keep hearing people say they will be the next big touring jamband, but I dont see it. I havent seen UM yet, maybe thats the problem. but most bands i like i listened to before i saw them.

12. solla._.sollew

solla._.sollew Member

go see them for sure. i just won't listen to them on disc. but i also really don't like them that much...

13. guyute625

guyute625 Member

im seeing UM on the 30th :D

14. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

I love UM studio albums.. but yea.. its nothing compared to seeing them live thats for sure.. .the energy is fuckin intense.. they put on a great live show.. i'll be seeing them in july

15. Gatherlight

Gatherlight Member

Umphrey's is music for ADD people (Attention Deficit Disorders)

Everytime they find a cool groove that you might want to dance to and trip out on they change it up. It is constant changing of musical math scales wrapped around somewhat meaningless lyrics. The musicianship is definitely way up there and they put on a great show. It's just not for everyone.

I don't mean to be harsh on these guys at all. I actually have seen them many times and enjoy most of the shows. I'm just calling it how I see it. ADD music.

16. Willy_Wonka_27

i agree that they usually do switch up the jams every 30 seconds or so... but the last time i saw them it was like a completely different umphreys... smooth complete jams. steady beats and rhythms.

17. solla._.sollew

solla._.sollew Member

thats cool....i was not really into the constant jam changes....

18. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

Anchor drops has probably the best jam ever on it.. "Miss Tinkle's Overture".. its even sicker live.. only bad thing about that cd imho.. is Bullhead City

19. Willy_Wonka_27

agreed!!!

20. guyute625

guyute625 Member

just saw em tonight. they were really solid and all together but the setlist was poop. cool jams tho