UK's Cocaine Polluted Rivers Getting Eels High

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by ZenKarma, Jun 21, 2018.

1. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

An article in "The Week" informs readers the "Migratory abilities of endangered species inhibited by accumulation of drug in their brains and gills."

Also to be noted is this statement: "the researchers found that cocaine had accumulated in the drugged eels’ muscles, brains, gills, skin and other tissue. Their muscles were swollen, and even showed signs of fibre breakdown."

Eels natural life cycle takes them from inland waterways where they spend almost all their lives in freshwater, to the Sargasso Sea in the Atlantic Ocean, where they breed, and spawn. Returning to the rivers and streams to do it over and over again.

Eels in Northern Europe have become an endangered species due to pollution, damming of rivers and streams, and over-fishing.

Wikipedia notes: Eels have been important sources of food both as adults (including the famous jellied eels of East London) and as glass eels (immature young eels about an inch long, known as fingerlings in Maine). Glass-eel fishing using basket traps has been of significant economic value in many river estuaries on the western seaboard of Europe.

But eels on cocaine? WoW!

2. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

It's time for a cocaine recycling system to be installed in toilets. That will keep it out of the rivers.

Really though, the fact that untreated sewage is getting into the rivers in the first place is seriously disgusting. Even power plants are forbidden from doing this.

Orison likes this.
  3. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Disturbing....Yeah , there were several articles before about all fish and water life being drugged....and god knows what else. :(

4. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

They have the same problems in Holland with MDMA.

5. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

The further we develop our mighty civilizations the further we find ourselves from nature. Stop hey what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

who the hell is tossing their cocaine in the river anyway? cokeheads suck on their empty baggies before letting any of that shit go to waste.

GeorgeJetStoned and Irminsul like this.
  7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Maybe that's where the police toss it?

8. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

Unfortunately (having been a former coke head), only a fraction is actually metabolized. The rest gets pushed out.

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

So if you kept your own urine and drank it, would you get high again?

10. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

If it works for eels....

Meliai and Irminsul like this.
  11. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I don't get how it builds up to high enough concentrations to do any harm. Seems like it would quickly disperse. Are there that many coke heads in the UK?

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Reindeer are know to drink their urine after eating the mushrooms to get high again.

13. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Actually, it's the reindeer herders that do that... Yeah, they drink deer piss. But, that's going off topic.

14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I watched a cool documentary once about reindeer and magic shrooms. They couldn't get enough of them.

15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

And elephants and beer too.

16. unfocusedanakin

Sad thing for all the coke most of it is probably poor quality. The English are white and separated by an ocean from the source. Two reasons why it will never be the best. Of course their dealer will say it's the best but it's nothing compared to what you can buy in Texas and for cheaper. You do that and will truly understand what coke was supposed to be. Such a high for so little used.

Horrible drug with blood on it though.

17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Coke to me is the drink. They ask me if I'm on coke I say nope, Pepsi Max for me. :D

18. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

[​IMG]

19. unfocusedanakin

The UK uses the most drugs in Europe statistically. Although I guess they are not in Europe anymore now.

20. kushkush

kushkush Here on loan...