UK Prime Minister condemns Russian interference in Western Democracy

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Joshua Tree, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

Theresa May has just sent a stark warning to Russia over election meddling

MeAgain likes this.
  2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Oooo a stern warning, ooooo harsh, Putin is trembling in his boots I will bet

3. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

Are you 3 years old? FFS.

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

It's undeniable Russia has actual 'troll factories' in which people are trying to influence western citizens on western issues.
    Not sure how or if May is going to do something about that. She seems rather worthless to me (not saying that because of any political affiliation).
    But i guess giving a clear message about these nasty russian practices doesn't hurt when many western citizens are still doubting this shit, or just are in complete denial. I just think May is not the best messenger

5. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

This could just be some lone Russian agitators pissing about. There's no proof of "Troll factories" or a Putin orchestrated campaign. Western propaganda is just as dangerous, if not more so, except it's so insidious and hard-wired into the system we don't even notice it. It just appears as being the natural order of things. All major nations now practice cyber espionage, and the weaponization of information is becoming the biggest game in town for all major players on the World stage. May doesn't know what she's talking about, and is just looking for a bogeyman because she is in so much trouble at home.

6. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

lol at the UK telling another country not to mettle into the affairs of others

morrow likes this.
  7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

To what end though?

Lets say there are a bunch of troll factories in russia, and they did influence the US election, help get Trump, how does that help Russia economically or politically. How would they have been so sure Trump in office would have been a better result than Hillary.

It all sounds pretty far fetched

8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

200 years ago it might of ment something, but come on, nowadays you are just a bunch of islands that makes really good period dramas or Harry potter books.

Germany got obliterated 72 years ago and yet still managed to end up pulling more economic weight in 2017 than the UK does

neoprene_queen likes this.
  9. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

So you are equating Putin's Russia with the West?

I suppose the media just made up Yevgeny Prigozhin and the The Internet Research Agency AKA, the trolls from Olingo?

The problem with your logic is that it assumes everything is made up therefore there is no truth.
    It that world nothing can be known, everyone is a liar, and we are paralyzed as no action can be taken based on what is real.

scratcho, wilsjane and Meliai like this.
  10. MeAgain

The end game is to reduce the influence of the West, the United States in particular, and to increase the influence of Russia.
    This is done by using the free press to exploit any divisions or conflicts thus setting countrymen against countrymen and Western nations against Western nations.

That leaves an opening for Putin to expand his empire.

To ask if the Russians thought Trump would be better for them than Clinton is really showing a complete lack of knowledge of global politics. IMHO

11. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

How about the revelations that U.S. intelligence hacked Kaspersky lab, inserted code to make it look like they had meddled in the election? Both sides are just as culpable. May here is trying to instil the idea that Russian meddling may have been partly responsible for the Conservatives recent poor performance in UK general election. The Democrats in the U.S. have been working on the same tip.

12. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Oh really, so lets recap, Putin cant even pay all his government employees at once, but to expand his "empire" into buttfuck little areas like Ukraine, Crimea the best way to do that, take over the world is to have an imaginary army of trolls in factories photoshopping fake photos to influence twitter users.

And if i dont believe that, i am the one that has no clue.

US vs China is where its at nowadays, the Uk is insignificant amongst world powers, and so is Russia, Russia has always been broke and will be thus for centuries to come

13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

14. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I don't know how she thinks that he could influence an election outcome here in the UK. Votes are made from polling stations where nothing is connected to the internet and votes are counted by hand under the supervision of a civil servant. Any candidate can request a re-count and in the history of the UK an error that would affect the outcome of a seat has never been found. In the US, Many people believe that the election process has more holes than a colander and voting procedure varies from state to state. Teresa May is quite capable of loosing an election without any help, so she should think before she makes accusations that will be of no benefit to anyone and harm our fairly trusting relationship with Russia. Someone should present her with a plaque for her bedroom door. "It is better to keep quiet and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

15. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

It is estimated that 400 tweets out of 22.6 million related to Brexit were possibly of Russian origin. That's like a piss in the ocean.

16. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

It feels like she has given a voice to an otherwise voiceless cause. It has been so vehemently denied by the President of the United States and then not denied. But he's indecisive about it. It's like he doesn't care one way or the other. I'm glad someone is willing to stand up to Putin and Russia and election meddling. I'm not sure it's worth going to war over, but it's probably worth a sanction or two. :)

17. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Yes. Russian use psychics with remote-viewing and action-at-a-distance capabilities to swing elections.

18. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

The mentality of the average person in the street is the biggest threat to western democracy. The best example that I can think of, was when in the plot of a well known soap opera, someone tried to murder a popular character. The following few days saw the actor threatened in the streets, sent more than 100 death threats, as well as being physically assaulted and having his car trashed. He ended up with 24 hour police protection. To make matters worse, production companies would not risk offering him further acting work. I started describing the internet as the worlds largest dustbin some years ago and with every passing day, I feel that I was 100% correct in my assumption. I completely despair for the future of this planet.

etherea, scratcho and MeAgain like this.
  19. MeAgain

I'm not saying U.S. doesn't engage in cyber warfare, I'm saying that the U.S. is a much more free, open society with a democratic republic government as opposed to Putin's Russia.

Nothing wrong with fighting fire with fire.

20. MeAgain

It appears Putin's imaginary army of trolls did a pretty good job of helping Trump get elected.

21. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Russian interference with US politics continues to this day. Certain groups are all aflame over it to the exclusion of other issues.