UK in recession

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Joshua Tree, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

"Ain't got no home, ain't got no shoes"

Uk in recession as economy slides

hmm, bummer man, bummer...

Anyone feeling the pinch? My view is that we need to reorganise our economy on an environmentally stable model, economic growth should not be an end in itself if it is fuelled by needless and wasteful consumerism. Of course we need to be able to earn a living, and I feel very sorry for those who will suffer by losing their jobs and their homes, but so much of what we produce is, to quote Neil Young, "A Piece Of Crap". And then there's all those billions that countries spend on "Defence" (aka Attack) budgets.

So, just wondering if a) people are being affected personally b) where do we go from here?

2. blackcat666

blackcat666 Senior Member

things are way, way worst then any of us have been told so far!
    no one wants to be the first to use that d word, but i will... DEPRESSION! that is right folks; almost all of us got fucked really good.

i'm here in the u.s.a. and things are still going down hill here too; the good news is that obama has hit the ground running. bush more or less just jerk-off while the u.s.a and world went to hell. after obama took the oath of office as presdient, i said: 'good luck barack, your going to need it mega big time too!'

this morning on the radio i herd, that you all in the u.k. got another kick in the balls, thanks to the royal bank of scotland. my heart really goes out to you all! it is just a matter of time before we get another kick in the balls over here too.

where do we all go from here?
    i would say we need to start from squaire one feeling our way as we go, and develop a plan b.

you might want to check out a book by herman daily entitled 'stable state economics.' it is a hard read, but well worth it!

3. opel diamond

opel diamond burn out

i dont feel any worse off. i got a brand new job and ive always been skint, so it makes no odds to me.

where do we go from here......

the only way is up....................OH YEAH!

4. spirit of the night

spirit of the night Senior Member

I think we should be really ironic and british and have a national street party to celebrate.

We do love the underdogs.

5. chemigals

chemigals They call me Chemi

personally its not affected me,Ive actually got too much work!
    I do feel for the folk outta work and have familys to feed.
    Sorry I have no solution though ..

6. Psiwave

Psiwave Member

If you work it right you can survive easy.
    I do my food shopping for £15 a week if necessary. ( 2 peeps 1 dog )

It's all about shopping around

7. chemigals

chemigals They call me Chemi

agree about shopping, just buying loads of veg and making it last...eg veg stew, soup, curry its actually proper cheap and animal food buy in bulk usually.
    Main thing that skints us out at the mo is gas electric as were are on a metre :(

8. L.A.Matthews

L.A.Matthews Senior Member

I spend about £20-30 on shopping a week...The majority of that goes on cheese, because it's so fucking expensive!