Ugly feminists?

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by freexspirit29, Feb 11, 2009.

1. freexspirit29

freexspirit29 Member

I can't tell you how much I HATE the stereotype that all feminists are ugly, crazy man-haters. It's just not true. And, even if we were all "ugly" then does that mean we are not worthy of respect?

The extremist feminists have given all feminists a bad name. We're not all that crazy! We just want equal pay, we want to be seen as more than just nags, airheads or sluts. We DON'T want to be ridiculed for getting an abortion, working or standing up for ourselves. I'm 15, thin, wear make-up and love boys, all of which contradict the stereotypes of feminists. But I do consider myself a feminist. Which proves those stereotypes wrong.

Anyone else share my frustration?

2. Wild Mountain Dave

Wild Mountain Dave Rainbow

post pics please.

3. MaryJBlaze

MaryJBlaze eleven

4. Wild Mountain Dave

what??!! I need em to tell if she is a ligit feminist or not. ok ok, im outta here before the mod gets back

5. freexspirit29

freexspirit29 Member

6. sunshine186

sunshine186 midnight toker

Well, to bring your subject back, I agree.
    It is frustrating that the extreme feminists have given all the other a bad name.

Peace,
    Sunshine

7. freexspirit29

freexspirit29 Member

Thank you, Sunshine :)

8. Strawberry_Fields_Fo

Strawberry_Fields_Fo RN

Not to be a douche, but...there really are bigger issues than what others perceive about a certain stereotype. Stereotypes come from somewhere, but as long as you're not one, or as long as you don't care whether you are one or not, their opinion holds no power.

9. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

I'm surprised a 15 year-old is into feminism. It (feminism) seems to be obsolete: every woman I talk to essentially denounces it. Or at least the pretty ones do... :D

This just made me realize something: pretty women get immediate gains from machismo (even economically). Hence youse guys' dilemma.

The economic gains women have earned in the service economy, probably would not be possible if it wasn't for a resurgence of gender roles. Lots and lots of typically female jobs are based on looks.

10. Amontillado

Amontillado Member extraordinaire HipForums Supporter

All this talk about which women are attractive and which aren't (best guess is, the standard of attractiveness they're measured by is the regular cosmetically enhanced mass-media version) is exactly what feminism is a reaction against. When women can just be, and not worry about their level on any kind of beauty/ugliness scale, feminism may have achieved something. Until then, the revolution must continue.

11. mamaKCita

mamaKCita fucking stupid.

nah. personal attractiveness will ALWAYS be a factor in life and making a living. why? we like pretty people, we dont' like ugly people. that's an extreme statement, but studies prove it to be at least generally true. we even treat our kids accordingly: i was an ugly baby and far less attractive than my siblings. it showed in how my father dealt with me, which is to say, not at all.

no, truly, the most important part of feminism, which many of the PC Semantic Lovers would probably wish to change to "humanism" is the pursuit of equal rights for all and just treatment for all. i don't care about the social aspects, to be completely honest. you want respect, you earn it. some people will have a bias against you and you will never be able to earn their respect, no matter what you do. so? fuck 'em. move on.

in many areas of the world, feminism still has a long way to go, cultural relativists be damned. feminism still has a lot of fine tuning to do here, too. because it does us no good whatsoever to allow our brother, sons, and husbands to be belittle, either.

12. Wild Mountain Dave

and please ladies dont mistake bitch for strong. I think Holywood has done a lot to destroy the credibility of women and femenism by casting strong women as bitches. Now a girl growing into a woman thinks she has to be a bitch if she wants to be strong.

13. mamaKCita

yeah, it's pretty much totally true. even i can't stand the way "strong" women are portrayed in the media. it's embarassing.

14. freexspirit29

freexspirit29 Member

I have to agree with that. I consider myself "strong" but I'm not an obnoxious bitch. That's how some "feminists" are because they think that's what they need to be to be feminist. It really bothers me.

I understand how people like "pretty people". I like attractive people too. Who doesn't? But I don't think it's fair to classify an entire group of people as "ugly", which is what so many people do with feminists.

Honestly, the idea of feminism is that we don't have to be anyone else's idea of what is beautiful. I don't think I'm an ugly girl and I hate how most girls, especially the really beautiful ones, think they're ugly and judge themselves so harshly. I just feel there's too much emphasis on looks ....and the way people talk about feminism, that's all I ever hear about...

15. mamaKCita

it's just childish school-yard bashing. it's not somethign i worry about much at all except in the sense that it shows how immature people can be.

16. freexspirit29

freexspirit29 Member

Yeah, you're right, except I get this crap from ADULTS. And guys from my school. But then again, high school boys are hardly mature.

17. mamaKCita

many adults aren't mature, either.

18. Wild Mountain Dave

exactly, first thing I asked for were pics. cause I'm mature.

19. Argiope aurantia

Argiope aurantia Member

Adults were usually the worst offenders when I was growing up, but then where I was growing up, feminism was a huge personal failure. It was almost as bad as divorce for destroying your family's reputation. My mother is still disappointed that I let my "good" boyfriend (for whom I was to be ONLY a homemaker and baby-farmer: he would have nothing less) go, went back to college, and got married to a man who insists that I at least keep a part-time job so that I won't be screwed if something happens to him.

I have no problem with homemaking, really, if you have the choice. I plan to do it once I graduate, keeping a pt job for the reasons stated above and that I want to support my own craft vices. But the choice requires an education and an independent source of income.

I am getting tired of the attitudes, though, as well. I, at 24 in my area, am already too mature to be anyone's prime desire for a female employee. At my age, I am supposed to be a mother of at least two by now and looking for a new husband to support me. Most of the women in this workforce are either teenagers (the younger, the sexier. . . eeewww. . . ) or middle-aged divorcees and widows. I found out shortly after being hired to my current job that my breasts got me the position and my experiece was a pleasant surprice that came after my first day. I have taken action to reduce my attractiveness to spite my manager now. My hair is longer, I refuse makeup, I added a few pounds, and I got contacts: I now look 40. It's drastic, but if another guest calls me "Sweet Pea," I swear I'm going to neuter someone. My husband is amused by the whole thing, but happy about the new curves. As for the manager, I'm uglier but STILL his best employee in years and it drives him up a wall.

Muahahahaaaaaaa. . .