UFO Abductees Are Not 'All Kooks' (Stephen Hawking)!

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Jimbee68, Jun 21, 2020.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Found mythical cities have been identified not solely due to the myth, but due to solid archeology. That is, facts in the form of actual artifacts that back up the myth were discovered and then linked to the myth.

For example the mythical city of Homer's Troy was only identified and removed from mythical status by extensive archeological digs which continue to this day. Even then it was miss identified many times as multiple cities have been built on the same site. Presently Troy VIIa seems to be the most likely candidate, but that could change.

In contrast there are still many mythical cites that have not been verified such as Avalon, Atlantis, El Dorado, Shambhala, Camelot, etc.
    Do theses mythical cities have a bases in fact? We don't know.

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

How do we know we haven't already found them? There cities under the water found and nobody know what they are. Perhaps one of them is Atlantis? Or one of the other ones?

Fact is nobody actually knows where Atlantis was located, but underwater cities have been found in every ocean on the globe. They are nameless. Maybe one of them was Atlantis? They've discovered pyramid city ruins. There's endless possibilities and what people are seriously just going to sit there and go there's no possibility? That's Just rediculous. We may as well not even bother doing archaeology if the attitude is "we aren't going to learn anything new and don't take anything we find too seriously because it was all from the lands of make believe".

3. MeAgain

Perhaps one of them is Atlantis. Perhaps there never was an Atlantis, we don't know and we won't know until proof is brought forth.

I never said that any of these cities or myths are not possible, but I do recognize that some of them are more probable than others.
    I'm all for researching the subject, I have many books on Mu, Atlantis, Pyramids, ancient European scripts in the U.S. etc.

But until proven I take al those myths with a grain of salt.

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

But those myths were what scribes wrote as quite real events. That's why they're a myth, because when they wrote them, a myth meant true to life. Don't you see how the history your taught is misconstrude? My way of thinking only sounds kookoo because that's what they want you to believe. And they've completely misrepresented what the word myth actually means.

5. MeAgain

The english word myth comes from the Greek mythos, which origin itself is unknown.
    Myths are oral stories that may or may not be based in truth.
    When the stories, or myths, originated they may well have been considered to be true, however with the dawn of the Enlightenment and the scientific method the meaning of truth has changed, often times contrary to the old usage of the word myth.

The original myth tellers derived their truths from sacred texts, oracles, or authority figures without necessarily having to provide any collaborating evidence, or the true origins of the myth, or fact, had been lost to time and or garbled in retelling over the years.

Scribes may have believed the myths when they were written, but that doesn't mean they were, or are true.
    For instance, Herodotus reported that the city of Babylon had one hundred bronze gates, its walls were 100 meters or 28 stories high, 22 kilometers long, and 50 meters thick.
    Archeological evidence is that Babylon had eight gates, the walls were 8.4 KM long, and the tallest structure was only eight stories tall.

Presently, I'm rereading Voyages of the Pyramid Builders by Robert Schoch, the guy that predated the Sphinx (ca. 5000 BCE) and Robert Aquinas McNally.
    [​IMG]
    He draws heavily on myth to present an interesting theory, but then attempts to back that myth up with solid scientific data. It has yet to be proven or accepted in general, but is very interesting reading.

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Mythos is Latin, not Greek and also, try again. ;)

Screenshot_20200626-064929_Samsung Internet.jpg

mysticblu21 likes this.
  7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

In fact reading through that there's nothing in those definitions that would link mythos to any sort of fantasy or fiction at all because like I said earlier, our ancients told history and events through oral tradition.

But I get it, I get it. It's 2020 now, what did they know back then. :sweatsmile::sweatsmile:

mysticblu21 likes this.
  8. MeAgain

9. MeAgain

Are you saying that all myths are true?
    Are there really disir? Fylgjur, dwergaz? Does Auzawandilaz exist?
    Is Persephone queen of the Underworld? Does the Underworld exist?
    Did Icarus fly to close to the sun?
    Did Aphrodite instill life in the statue of Galatea, which was carved by Pygmalion, to satisfy his love for his own creation?

[​IMG]

10. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

While growing up I heard several local radio interviews with Betty Hill and it was clear her mental faculties were in a bit of a decline.

She would make all kinds of claims, and occasionally would take out groups of people to where the alien ships were scheduled to land, or point to the night skies and say “there they are” but it was apparent what she, and everyone else was seeing were planes that recently took off from Logan airport in Boston...lol..

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Well, like I said previous, you don't take the story exactly literally word for word, you have to actually step back and take a look at the big picture and at the events surrounding the myth.

It's like Beowulf. Surely we all believe there are not shape shifting sorceress dragons, but what was the myth of Beowulf actually telling? Most likely a story a about the oppressive rulers and governments of the time. And then let's see what's happened in Denmark, archaeologists have found what appears to be the foundations of a great mead hall.

So that's another example of where mythology starts to become a reality. The mead hall may have existed, but the sectional rulers of the lands we depicted as a shape shifting dragon. There's shape shifters in almost every culture.

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

It's like the bible. Many people these days pass that off as just stories don't they? Yet the bible is one of the most important historic pieces of literature that we have and is used to trace historic events, places, locations, genealogy. But it's basically looked at as myth. So why is it held in so much regard as to historic evidence and documentation? And like ice explained previously, the bible is basically rewritten mythological literature written down and documents several thousands of years before Christianity. So why is it so important if it's just make believe?

13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

And like I said previously also, Greek and Roman mythology always seems to be a leading genre of mythology, but those tales are relatively new, their origins, like the bible, can be traced much much farther back. So I tend not to take the reconstructed mythology of newer religions as seriously because just like Chinese Whispers, the stories expand and become more and more entrenched with idealogies.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Also, your definition you posted is of "myth" not "mythos" in which the word "myth" derived from.

So as you can see, as mythology expands through cultures, so do words and meanings. :)

15. MeAgain

16. MeAgain

I agree myths are not to be taken word for word as actual truth unless verified by other means.

17. MeAgain

Some parts of the bible have been confirmed, others have not and are considered myths.
    Historicity of the Bible
    Does the Bible Relate to History

18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I dunno why you keep posting definitions that galvanise what I said?

19. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

During the making of the film 'close encounters' a lot of studies were carried out in order to produce a sense of reality and possibility.
    However, one of the most interesting studies (that was largely ignored) was the case of the guy who was abducted from his car and probed in an alien craft. However, their was a passenger in the car who claimed that while they stopped for several hours, he did not loose track of time and his friend was drifting in and out of a conscious state, but he never left the vehicle.
    To me, this indicated that his abduction was mental, rather than physical. I found that completely plausible.
    This hypothesis could explain a great deal, including ghosts and reincarnation. We know without doubt that both of these have a lot of evidence, but I feel that considering the brain and the body separately results in them making some REAL sense.
    Along with heredity, we all have very different talents, so our brain must have data from other sources. The most interesting thing is that they always go back, rather than forward, so perhaps the great musicians of today somehow have data from the likes of Tchaikovsky, while my personal achievements have let to people accusing me of applying the logic of Brunel.
    To confuse matters even more, we seem to have a third life that exists in our dreams and like our talent, it seems to exist in the past, sometimes bringing back people who are no longer with us.
    I also worked on an Australian film about reincarnation. It affected me greatly, particularly because the woman who died in her previous life at one of the German concentration camps, was focused purely on her mental state, rather than the physical side of the demise of her human body. After being shown in the UK. it was discovered that the woman who relived her experiences at the concentration camp died the following week, without ever coming out of her hypnotic state.
    I have made numerous attempts to trace the film today, but without any success. One person told me that the whole thing was a complete hoax, while others said that it was banned by the Australian government,
    The one hing that I do know, is that ABC Sydney can produce a copy of a soap opera, but they cannot trace the film. When I pushed them, they soon started ignoring my calls and emails.

As you said, we do not seem to be told the truth, but I suspect that it is because no one knows it.
    Perhaps human nature drops a red mist, once we get outside our comfort zone.

Eric! likes this.
  20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Well, if we don't know the "truth" then I certainly don't believe in perpetuating our own lies and history to compensate for things we don't know. But that's what it is to be human isn't? We have a burning desire to know answers.