Twins?

Discussion in 'All in the Family' started by kitty fabulous, May 26, 2006.

1. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

Anybody else with a twin here?

Mine is the spiritual, religious, and political polar opposite of me. How did that happen? I can barely believe we're from the same planet, let alone siblings!

I've been telling people I was a changeling brought by the elves.:p

2. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

I'm not a twin, but I have a set of fraternal twins, a boy and a girl. They're turning 3 years old tomorrow. Awww. I just love my little bubbies! [​IMG]

Wanna see?

[​IMG]

3. kitty fabulous

We've had twins in my family, every generation, for like 3 generations. When I had my kids, each time my family was like, well? where's the other one?

Then my best friend had twins and the joke was that she had my babies. :p

Yours are adorable. You might want to check out hippymom.com . Lots of moms with twins there.

4. hippychickmommy

Hey thanks! [​IMG]

Twins didn't run on my side of the family at all. I was the first to have them. My husband's mother was a twin from a fraternal boy/girl set, however, since it's the female the determines fraternal twinning, it wasn't him that did it, it was me. But it was really crazy that we had them, considering his mother was a twin. Let me tell you, it was a total shock when we found out!

5. kitty fabulous

Oh yeah, my parents didn't find out until the last minute. They were only expecting one. Two people gave my mother identical baby blankets at her shower and she joked it was an omen of twins. Guess she was right.

6. Critter1223

Critter1223 Member

I hear you ther HCM!! Your twins are adorable!! i was shocked when I found out we were expecting two! It almost like a buy one get one free deal!! They are so much fun, and neat to watch!! My girls will be three in August!! Mine are also fraternal. It runs On both sides of my family...I was destined to have a set! Family rumor is that my great-great grandmother had several sets, including triplets. I am scared to get pregnant again!!!
    Happy Birthday to yours tomorrow!
    here, I will show them off some more!! my little buddies!!
    [​IMG]

7. hippychickmommy

Awww, thanks Critter! Your girls are such cutie pies too! Are they close? Do they fight a lot?

8. Critter1223

Critter1223 Member

Yes, and Yes!!!! They are so close, and it is truly amazing how much they care for each other, and their well being. They never take anything (candy for example) without offering to one another before they take some themselves! But yes unfortunately they do fight, not all the time, but they know how to get each other mad. It mostly always trivial little things of course. But they hate to be apart form each other for too long!! True best friends for life, can't get any better than that!!

9. IllusoryFreedom

IllusoryFreedom Member

I have a twin brother (I'm a girl), and my aunt and uncle (on my mom's side) are twins. :)

10. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

We theorize that I originally had a twin...but I sort of...dominated my twin way early on and...absorbed her. It's a valid theory, my mom was on fertility medications and I had a weird third nipple way off of the milk line (on my lower back, in fact). My poor twin...lol. Funny thing is, I had multiple personalities when I was a child. Weeeeiiiiirrrrd.

11. RyvreWillow

RyvreWillow Member

Ramona: i think they call that a "disappearing twin;" sometimes they'll hear two heartbeats, or see two on an early ultrasound, but a few months later there's no evidence at all. There was a mama that had this happen in my due date club on another board; guess it's fairly common (as twin-things go at least), but i think it might bring up all sorts of identity and spiritual issues for a surviving sibling

My mom and her identical twin were opposites growing up too, and they still are. They're both very close to their younger sister, but don't tend to get along so well themselves (i personally think much of this is because they were very poor growing up, and had to literally share everything). Every time someone brings up "that special bond that all twins share" my mom and her sisters laugh their asses off. My mom actually gets angry when the subject is brought up.

12. kitty fabulous

I hear you on the sharing everything issue. We were poor too. I remember resenting that I didn't even get my own birthday. We had separate rooms, though, and ironically, one of us would always sneak into the other one's room at night and sleep on the floor, almost up until we were teenagers. We were close back then, then we hit high school and realized we ran with different cliques. My brother spent so much time and energy trying to be accepted by the popular kids; I figured I wasn't ever going to be popular anyway no matter what I did so i might as well have fun with it, and totally embraced my inner art freak, and was doggedly loyal to the nerds. That's about when the split occurred. We sort of polarized after that. We only get along at all now because we're on opposite coasts and almost never talk. i don't think that's healthy for any siblings, but especially twins.