TV Movies

Discussion in 'TV' started by babig0tback, Jun 19, 2008.

1. babig0tback

babig0tback Member

Do you think they go right to TV cause they're not good enough for theatres or the networks really do believe they'd reach more people by broadcasting it?

2. Tripwired

Tripwired Member

Good question! I've always wondered the same thing but i don't know! Personally i love watching TV movies!!! But alot of the movies in theaters are really not that great!

Dude111 likes this.
  3. sexylilunicornbutt

sexylilunicornbutt Member

They definitely go right to TV because they don't have the same budget. I don't think they're usually aiming at making big budget movies for the cinema when they're making them, though. Why the networks don't try to make big budget movies I don't know. Maybe they just don't consider it their area.

4. PaulFrank

PaulFrank Member

I think it's definitely more so of sexylilunicornbutt (wow coolest username ever! haha) said. Also the movies are usually made by the TV network so why would they spend the money on distribution when they already have a TV channel to put it on. Plenty of TV movies are way better than a lot of the junk that makes it to the big screen haha. One of my favorite recent books I just read ("The Tenth Circle" by Jodi Picoult) was just recently made into a TV movie. Fingers crossed on it bein' good :toetap05:

5. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

I agree..... I have seen 3 TV movies I love with a passion!!! (1 I have on its official VHS tape (1977),the other I recorded from LIFTIME MOVIE NETWORK (1997) in the 90s and the 3rd I found upstairs in a box of VHS tapes last year.. (1 of them had a TV movie from 2002 on it))

I think my favourite one is the 1997 one (On the edge of innocence)

6. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

I think it is down primarily budget along with a topical relevance -there seems to be a desire for sci-fi, history, thriller etc genre that captures the mood of the moment for the generality of the populous - short, sharp cashing in of public viewing

7. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

[SIZE=10pt]Back in the 70s& 80s, and 90s the 3 major networks (NBC, ABC, CBS) used to regularly produce Made for TV Movies with some success, but with the advent of Cable TV, Satellite TV, VHS, DVD’s, Blu-ray & Netflix they lost out to the competition, although their affiliate cable stations continue to produce original motion pictures such as the Syfy Channel which is owned by NBC Universal.[/SIZE]

One of my favorite Made for TV movies is Ordeal in the Arctic 1993

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73Vs1TLqY_A

Hotwater