Turkey is behaving boldly and it doesn’t share European values at all.

Discussion in 'Protest' started by Armen, May 24, 2006.

1. Armen

Armen Member

Turkey is behaving boldly and it doesn’t share European values at all. They stubbornly stick to their former line that Armenian genocide of 1915 is just a ‘myth’ (!).
    I live in France and I am of Armenian origin. My granny stayed alive by miracle then. Her eyes are full of tears each time she’s recollecting that dreadful massacre in which all her family was killed. Is she a myth?!
    My feelings were hurt when Turkish foreign minister ironically wondered if he could be put behind bars during a visit to France. That was his reaction to the Paris decision to introduce fines and prison terms for those publicly denying both Armenian genocide and WWII Jewish Holocaust. Thus that Turkish official of high rank made it clear that he and his country stays where it was…. in 1915.
    Do we need so badly this kind of Turkey in the EU as part of European civilization?

2. rainbowedskylover

rainbowedskylover Senior Member

i don´t see why turkey needs to be part of the EU anyway. on the news I hear Turkey is trying to reach the standards to be introduced into the EU, but that´s only the beaurocratic part of the story. what about the people, the culture? are they trying to reach the EU standars fot humanity and civilization? in the highlands there is still a lot of injustice in many ways.

3. Dr Phibes

Dr Phibes Banned

well stick the past in the past, eh? I mean 1915 - and you're still on about it - unless you havent had a television, radio, clock, or some other means by which to gauge the passage of time over the past 10 decades - this is 2006
    Most people cant remember what happened 10 days ago in this western culture - look around ask someone if they can remember the exact headline 10 days ago.
    Part of the problem - in fact most of the problem in the world is that people hang on to the past looking for revenge
    sorry but you and your argument is part of the problem not the solution
    What the standards of Europe that hasnt even got a democratically elected president? or are you talking about the standards of the Europe that helped Sadam Hussein commit genocide when it suited them?
    Oh no you must mean THAT Europe - the one which the people of its nation states cant vote to get out of - no of course its that europe the one which exploits kids picking coffee beans til they drop dead in South America, and exploits the sweat shops of Tailand so footballers can have nice shirts when they play

4. rainbowedskylover

rainbowedskylover Senior Member

- I have never heard myself saying something about the armenian genocide. my country has recognised the armenian genocide and as long as turkey doesn´t recognises the genocide itself it would be logic for my country to refuse the participation of turkey within the EU.
    offcourse noone knows what were the headlines ten years ago, but does makes less worse the past? every genocide is a crime against humanity and since WW2 the united nations have tried to bring the criminals to court. offcourse it would be stupid to get Turkey in front of a judge for something they did ninety years ago, but denying the history is even more absurd.
    - Don't forget the EU started out as a trade federation, they still have to develop as a fullgrown political institute. BTW the europian parliament is democratically elected. the chairmanship of the EU changes every few years, so every country get´s his share part in leading the EU.
    - what do you mean by 'EU helping Saddam Hussein to commit genocide'? it might have been some dutch asshole who traded the chemicals to Hussein but I don´t see how the EU could ever support a genocide without being run over by the united nations.
    - and the abuse of the poor in poor countries is just as much the fault of any other western state
    Does any of the previous post justifies the participation of Turkey? NO! countries are willing to respect the the rights every free men has to join the EU, ain´t that great? I think we should go on with that, but I do think we do have to keep the standards high. what would be the use of it anyway? it would be a shame if the EU would become a trade federation full of corrupt countries, with great political power. not only through trade but through the power of creating laws as well. as long as turkey does not apply the international rights every human has on it´s people, the EU should reject Turkish participation on the EU

5. Dr Phibes

Dr Phibes Banned

You have too much faith in the United Nations - its a machine driven by the west to force less powerfull countries to act in accordance with western feelings.
    I do not doubt that a wrong has been commited and I was a little unsympathetic, but please cant you just say - "does it matter anymore"?
    cant we be allowed to start the world afresh and make a new start or do people have to keep apologising for crimes committed by people who died before my grandfather was born

The president becomes a politician - locally elected by one of the member states - I want Chiraq to be president but cant vote for that - we have to wait till its the time of france to take presidency.
    Also the members of the European parliament are elected but not the
    Council members of the legislative body - they are chosen by the individual governments. I want a Europe of democratic government - not a few braindead MPs but the whole of the parliament should be elected by and accountable to all the peoples of europe - I want a nationstate

6. Yehova

Yehova Member

the armenian genocide is completely lie. conversely ,we took all armenian people away from war. and we try to devolop our life standarts. because we want to attend EU really.