Trying to re-connect with my People - Romany/Gypsy

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by FlowerMama, May 10, 2013.

1. FlowerMama

FlowerMama Member

Not sure if this is the right spot, but if not, please feel free to move it! :)
    Basically, I'm looking for any Romany or children of Romany to connect with.
    My father was born in Budapest, Hungry then immigrated to Canada when he was 3.
    His family was Romany/Jewish; and trying to escape the persecution of Hungary and go for a new start including a new family last name...
    Anyway, I grew up with wonderful traditions and stories told to me by my father; about travelling around and family members, magic and music.
    I've carried a lot of those traditions with me, but I find myself alone as I don't know anyone with the same heritage as myself.

My mother's family, immigrants from Germany (Jewish/Catholic) took over most of my upbringing (eg. I was raised Catholic) but my father always took the time to pull us aside and tell us stories that my mother would declare "non-sense" then my father would mutter in Hungarian at her and keep story-telling.

So are there ANY others out there? I'd love to connect.

Peace,
    ~ FlowerMama