Trump's Response to COVID-19

Discussion in 'Politicians' started by walkoflife, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

"Earlier this week, White House officials spoke anonymously to US media publications and questioned Dr Fauci’s reliability, going so far as to distribute a list of times he had been wrong during the crisis.

That list included his early doubts that asymptomatic people would play a significant role in spreading the virus, and his statement in late February that there was no need for Americans to “change anything that you’re doing on a day-to-day basis”.

‘Big mistake’: Fauci scolds White House for undermining him

2. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Presumably on the orders of Hephatrump, and we all know what a lying bastard he is don't we ???

Tishomingo, scratcho and MeAgain like this.
  3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

The quality of information from Fauci has hardly been expert

4. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Really ??? - and Hephatrump is an expert ??? - are you really going to be a prat all your life ???

Tishomingo and MeAgain like this.
  5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Trump not being an expert, Fauci being 30 years past his due by date, these two things aren't mutually exclusive

6. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I feel like he has really done his best though; perhaps at times weighing in on the side of caution. I understand that there's a complaint against that. I guess I would argue that by shining the light in such a way as to present the facts as more egregious than they may actually be, he's effectively garnering the attention of those who otherwise might pay little or no attention.

I think that when we understate the severity of this disease we do a tremendous disservice to the less educated or to those who have limited access to media outlets and such. The word should be out - there's a killer in the air that you breathe! It's CoViD-19, and it means business!

Let's not be naïve about the way people behave, or how well they interpret information. No one ever walks around thinking they're going to get sick until they're sick and then it's "oh, maybe I should get more vitamin c" and never "maybe I ought to stay away from my family members and wash my hands better". It's really important that people take the precautions of standing 6-feet apart, washing their hands excessively, etc.

I think Fauci wanted to make absolutely sure that he maximized that effect.

7. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

VG has no conception of how science works and he has animosity for any expert who doesn't agree with whatever his views are.

8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I can put the word "science" in a post too

Watch:

"science"

See, without any context, it doesn't mean anything

9. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Trump says it's under control---why would anybody doubt him? Jeez----some people.

Tyrsonswood and ZenKarma like this.
  10. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Cognitive decoupling

Why is it you form a type of kinship with Fauci in particular?

There are certainly other experts out there talking about more far complicated matters in regards to the virus

11. soulcompromise

Well... I'm not.

But he is the one being featured on virtually every syndicated station.

Do you think he has everyone's interest at heart?

Tishomingo likes this.
  12. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

You have asked me about a feeling I have about him personally rather than the quality and scope of the information he has provided

Cognitive decoupling starts when you are little, to try and understand how other minds work you couple several aspects of others into an imaginary friend and go through different scenarios with that friend

In puberty and adult life that turns into following a deity, or deities, or celebrities, sports stars etc etc

You are obviously a lot more paranoid about the virus than most in your age range and you see Fauci as a kind of favourite uncle now

I just see a trained monkey saying the same things over and over, wash your hands, wear face masks, socially distance yada yada yada

Fauci is just the guy to broadcast the simplest message to the broadest number of people

13. Idlewild

Idlewild Members

250k bikers from all over the country -- many of them Trump supporters -- are expected to show up for the Sturgis bike rally beginning this weekend at a time when S. Dakota is experiencing a surge in covid-19 cases. Should be interesting to watch on the news. I wouldn't want to be there, though.

That said, many Sturgis businesses rely on the rally event for their survival. I just hope they require people to wear masks and social distance.

14. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Guessing you never met any of these guys...

15. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

And he's also saying the same things they do.

16. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Waddya know. A simian Sigmund Freud! Actually, your response is symptomatic of the ego defense mechanism called denial--not the river in Africa, butthe "unconscious defense mechanism used to allay anxiety by denying the existence of important conflicts, troublesome impulses, events, actions, or illness."Denial definition | Psychology Glossary | alleydog.com Denial definition | Psychology Glossary | alleydog.com In this case, you seem to think that if you deny or minimize the virus, you'll be safe from it or the threat that it presents to your delusional political views. I thought that was typical of ostriches, but I guess it applies to Australian gorillas, too.Sadly, it doesn't work!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  17. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

You have to admit you’ve been wrong far more times then you’ve been right.

For instance, when the Novel coronavirus was first introduced into the population, you made constant references and comparisons to MERS and SARS, and were proven wrong
    time after time until you finally abandoned that assumption.

Tishomingo likes this.
  18. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Why do you have a personal vendetta with him?

And what "experts" can you present that agree with you? As far as I know there one doctor who also thinks that demons live in sperm and other crack pot things.

The man was fine when he said what the right wing wanted to hear. They 100% were on board then the message changed (as real science often does) and since he made dear leader Trump look like a fool he become a democratic plant

Your feelings are far more interesting on this topic.

Tishomingo and MeAgain like this.
  19. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Probably because he's one of the world's the leading authorities on infectious diseases not a loud mouth idiot.

But that's science.
    You seem upset because Fauci talks to the public with terms and concepts they can understand instead of using Latin medical terms, such as primum non nocere, omne in die, or iatrogenesis.

You seem to have a problem with experts especially well spoken, accessible ones.

Tishomingo likes this.
  20. soulcompromise

I disagree. I don't have some disorder about the guy, nor do I do much of anything blindly... no. I have the option of following along with this idea that we can protect ourselves or I can do what some others have decided and try to exercise my right to not follow. I choose the former. :)

& if I'm paranoid about anything, it's what would possibly happen if I tried to not wear my mask in an area where one is required - such as the police being called. That's the big deterrent, not getting sick. Because when it comes to getting sick, I'm just as dumb as the next person - I think that I won't, and continually catch myself slipping with little things. Like the handwashing has gotten shorter than 20 seconds (which I will start to fix now) or that I don't sanitize groceries as much now.

MeAgain likes this.