Trump says "I like conflict...I enjoy watching it."

Discussion in 'Politics' started by rjhangover, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Kerri

Kerri Members

And he created that too

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

And that worked out so well... didn't it.

3. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

His life seems so ....stormy.

I couldn't resist.

Eric!, Lynnbrown, TheGhost and 2 others like this.
  4. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I disagree. If a dem wins Texas or a Republican wins Cali, they DESERVE to be President.

It's a challenge both parties should rise to. It's an overall microcosm. If a candidate can "win" in enemy territory, that's something commendable and speaks volumes about their abilities as a leader.

5. Kerri

Kerri Members

Sure but the EC isn’t encouraging trying. It’s making it worse. That’s not opinion it’s a fact. Look where campaign money and resources is spent. It’s overwhelmingly in contested states.

Why shouldn’t we just count votes?

scratcho and Lynnbrown like this.
  6. Noserider

Demographics.

If you count votes, all a candidate needs to do is win Chicago, New York, LA, and maybe Houston.

I don't think you should be able to become president by appealing to only a quarter of the population.

Counting only votes screws a lot of people

7. Kerri

Kerri Members

Your math is off. That’s not winning you the presidency unless you unanimously win those cities. And how are people getting screwed by having the person with most votes win??? By definition if you win you’re appealing to more than 25% - with 25% you won’t win

Its also the EC that screws third parties because the EC is winner take all so it’s mathematically impossible for a third party

Lynnbrown likes this.
  8. Noserider

LA, Chicago, NYC > The next 29 US cities you can name.

It's not about popularity; it's about clout. Trump, unfortunately, won the right cities: the cities with the most clout.

Why do these cities have the most clout? Huge populations.

I'm sorry, but no candidate can appeal to the US as a whole--not even the politicians you adore. But they can appeal to the right cities.

Anyway, the one thing we can agree on is anyone but Trump for 2020

9. Kerri

Kerri Members

I do agree on that. I just don’t understand how the electoral college helps anything. It focuses to concentrate on Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Michigan and it pushes out thirds parties and it doesn’t serve the purpose the founding fathers intended. You shouldn’t be able to win an election with less votes because you narrowly won a few more contested districts in 5 states

Right now national elections are won by Broward country FL and rural Ohio and rural Pennsylvania

10. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Demographics is what got us where we are now.

That's roughly 18M out of more that 300M (overall population). Math don't add up here.

You're absolutely right. But with the electoral college that is what could theoretically happen.

It's how democracy works. If the electoral college just rolls over a couple million votes and elects the other candidate that's not exactly democracy.

11. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

Trump 2020

12. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

LOLZ

13. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I agree but they never had a chance of being elected.

14. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Of course he’d say that.

Trump is a troll

15. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

Exactly right Kerri!

I really don't understand saying only winning maybe 5 cities (granted they are cities with large populations but those cities do not have more people than the rest of the US! lol) would win someone the election IF you are just counting votes. Individual votes...mine and Mel's in our deeply red SC would count also, rather than be directed to the circular file as they are now.

#45 would certainly NOT be where he is had individual votes counted, since he most certainly did not win the popular vote despite him proclaiming that on TV. lol what a damn embarrassing idiot he is.

The electoral college is NOT serving the purpose for which it was originally created. What the hell has to happen to have it abolished? Or is that even possible?

16. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yep. I think this is exactly WHY he likes conflict, because his personal life is upside down. When things aren't right on the "Homefront", what better way to let off steam than to go shit all over other people's lives. I think it's hilarious that Melania isn't hiding just how pissed off she is at him.

17. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

of course it's possible, no government rule can't be changed or overthrown.

but, it does really help the people who have control of everything right now, so i don't see how it would actually happen without some sort of overthrowing.

Lynnbrown and scratcho like this.
  18. Kerri

Kerri Members

That’s the biggest problem with the EC - so few votes actually count. Most states are already decided for 2020. Only a very small number of purple states actually matter. If we counted votes candidates would be strongly encouraged to campaign in areas where they would lose the EC

Lynnbrown likes this.
  19. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Or Clinton.

Eric! likes this.
  20. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I cannot see that.

If all these economic advisers are so clever, why does America and half of western Europe have trade deficits large enough to sink the titanic.
    Take a simple example. If the owners of your farm decided to shut up shop and import cheese from China, neither you or the other workers would be earning the money to buy it. Your taxes would also be lost to your government.
    Now imagine every other company doing the same. Goods would be cheaper, while no one had any jobs or money and without tax revenue the entire country would collapse.

Climbing up the slippery slope is much harder than sliding down it. The question is whether the American people will be prepared to suffer at least a decade of hardship to get back to the top. Bringing jobs back will involve investment, while factories will take years to construct and obtain the correct infrastructure to operate. Only then will cities like Detroit start to rise from the ashes.

A few years ago, a small UK company wanted to open a production plant at home. They bought the land and obtained outline planning permission. When their utilities consultant engineer started work he was faced with:- Telecoms, 2 years to complete and lots of £££££. Gas 3 years and even more £££££. 11kv electricity supply, 10 (yes ten) years and eye watering £££££ When the local council looked at providing sewage connections, they realized the extent of the work. No time scale, No £££££. They simply withdrew the planning consent.