Trump: Opioid 'national shame' a public health emergency

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Joshua Tree, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

But it is possible to die from a synthetic cannibas overdose

Might we not see the same thing with cannibas, thats legal so more widely available, people will eventually want stronger and stronger stuff, they start selling the street version with that synthetic crap sprayed on regular pot, voila in ten years you have however many thousand people a year ODing on that stuff.

Some may argue, oh I have been smoking pot for decades never wwnted anything much stronger, its not a gateway drug, but we all didnt have the synthetic version 10 years ago

You know in a couple years someones going to come up with the synthetic version 100 times stronger than todays version

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I have complete faith in the current administration... To fuck this all up.

4 people like this.
  3. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

I remember getting my wisdom teeth out and the dentist giving me enough Percocet to last me a month. I only needed a few days of it. I can see how people can get into it through pharmaceuticals and then shift to buying it illegally, because it's so cheap. Thank our protection of Afghanistan's poppy fields for that. If the fields were destroyed and prices rose less people would die.

4. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Hmmmmm what could be a non addictive pain killer

Oh well I cant figure it out, I'm gonna go smoke a bowl

2 people like this.
  6. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

I would love to have a pill that works as well as opioids for pain but for which tolerance doesn't build up. basically, I want super-tylenol.

7. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Yes, thinking IS flawed.
    Thinking a person that you very much dislike cannot do one thing right, as well as admitting that said person has a point.
    Thinking that an asshole person can't get one thing right.
    Thinking that it just has to be political.
    Yes, thinking IS flawed.

People kill themselves with all kinds of things? No shit, Sherlock. What's the point of that, why did you say that?
    It doesn't make it less of an issue just because people do it to themselves.
    I certainly don't care less about this issue just because it is something people do to themselves, as opposed to being a victim of someone else using guns.
    Besides, there is also this question of personal responsibility, if you really want to bring that up.
    If all these drugs are easily obtainable (and we all know how pharma&docs love to push pills and painkillers and all that), just how responsible an average person is?
    Sure, to a certain degree. But is someone or something else also somewhat responsible?
    If you want to talk about responsibility.

And you personally being more worried about a whole different topic (guns)...
    Ummm ok? Totally not the topic here.

8. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

without liver damage.

1 person likes this.
  9. eggsprog

Essentially I want to me able to take a 5mg oxy every few hours without having tolerance build, haha.

10. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I've had some opioid-based painkillers after a surgery and another time with an infected tooth.

Honestly, I didn't like the way it made me feel. At all. It wasn't like being buzzed. It was like...I don't know how to describe it. But I was scared. I stopped taking them and instead popped Advil like they were Skittles.

Anyway, I could see how that stuff could be fatal. What I don't understand is why people take them for fun.

11. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Well, actually, piaf, as I have said many times before on this forum...my main concern is the environment.....but I don't want to go off topic here......but anyone who could appoint who he has to take care of the environment does not have my respect, and I don't like him.....and never will.

As far as this issue goes...of course, i do not want to see people getting addicted to things that can kill them....

12. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

In SC it is unbelievably difficult to find a doctor that will prescribe pain pills (opioids), much less to have one that prescribes them regularly or for a long period of time. Where I live the ONLY doctors that will do this (prescribe regularly for a long time) are the ones at Pain Management Clinics, and they don't over prescribe. Your urine is tested every single time and it doesn't matter what you have going on, if you test dirty (the ONLY thing they are really concerned about here is weed lol) you are immediately "released" (kicked out) from there. They also must test "right" for having that prescribed med in them at the right amount.

With all of the federal regs it really is hard for me to believe that THAT many people are not only able to get unprescribed/illegal (to them) pain meds but they wind up killing themselves.

Even if all states are not as flipped out as here, I still find this incredibly hard to accept.

It seems to me if all this (the numbers that are supposedly accurate about deaths) were really accurate, everybody should know at least 1 person that has died from opioids. Also if it were true, it certainly seems that every person from the USA that has commented on this thread should be able to give exampleS of people they knew that this happened to, yet I know not one single person this can be said about.

Note I'm not saying I don't know anybody that takes pain meds because I surely do, and I know what they go through to get that script and keep it.

13. Moonglow181

That to me is sad. Why? Why is weed the only thing that gets one kicked out?

I knew of someone who overdosed on something and died. It was a girl i knew...her boyfriend died from an overdose. i was working with her, and we all got the news that day, and she left work in a hurry. We were all very sad.....I am not sure what he overdosed on. I never did really understand all of the drugs and what they do.

14. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I know someone who died from opioids. He was a couple of grades ahead of me in school, he hung out with the pill popper crowd. Painkillers were incredibly easy to get back then, I have no idea about now, they have really tightened up regulations but I also know someone who gets 120 lortabs a month for her back and doesnt take them all, she could easily sell them if she were so inclined

Anyways so this guy had a pill problem for years and moved on to heroin later and OD'd

But I dont think SC has really seen a big issue with opioids like in other states, from what i've read about whats happening in Ohio everyone knows an addict

Myrtle Beach is a big center for heroin trafficking and supposedly a lot of the stores in Myrtle Beach are money laundering sites so it isnt completely unheard of here either (sidenote, the ocean can swallow the cesspool that is Myrtle Beach for all I care)

1 person likes this.
  15. Moonglow181

I also recently saw an article recently that fish and water life are testing positive for drugs,,,,due to things thrown down the toilet bowels and things, like that. pretty sad.

16. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

Well they could get kicked out because they didn't have any meds in their system although I surely don't know anybody that would go to that enormous amount of trouble to get accepted in a PMC and then not take those meds. The thinking behind that is that if they don't test right (have enough in their system) they MUST be selling them...forget about trying to not take any more than necessary. smh

I said that about weed because a friend of mine was told by a PM doctor that even though they test, they only thing they really looked at was weed - oh and cocaine. lol

I should have added in cocaine there...but usually people that do coke would never get caught because it pisses out a LOT faster than weed. Within a week coke is out of your system and 10 days if you are a heavy user. (An old ex bf of mine loved it and I know more about it than I ever wanted to know. smh)

17. Moonglow181

18. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

OMG! That is really horrifying, and I believe it.

also...intersex fish :-O from birth control and menopausal meds. Lord have mercy they need to work on why the sewage isn't contained. Apparently there is a LOT leaking into the fresh water. ewwwwwww I can't help but wonder about people that are kayaking and/or living on the shores of the Potomac, and if they have had any strange illnesses or diseases...

but back to the subject - odd how anti-depressants, cocaine, birth control and menopausal meds were mentioned but nothing about opioids. lol :) Seriously though - I am sure they were in there since those fish tested positive for 61 (I think?) different chemicals.

But the ones that were the most aggressive had xanax, valium and/or an anti-depressant. dang

edit - I remember how my husband would be when he had taken valium or xanax. AWFUL!!! [​IMG] :argue: [​IMG] :bigcry:

but his drug of choice was alcohol, and that is what caused his demise.

19. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

Nor was he a stranger to opioids...but then its like Mel said that (some form) of opioids used to be a lot easier to get. That is a fact.

I'm sure if I thought hard enough and went back far enough I would know someone that died from opioid addiction; but, not for many a year.

Why wouldn't a concentration of law enforcement be brought in to the areas where opioid related deaths are running high? How could that not change things???

They wouldn't have to worry about sending any to SC. [​IMG]

20. eggsprog

I think a big part of the problem is that in order to try and fix the problem of over-prescribing and shady doctors writing huge scripts in exchange for cash under the table, they have gone too far the other way and made it way harder for lots of people to get the pain meds that they need to function. Those people eventually turn to the street to buy pills, and then often move on to heroin because it is so much cheaper, and most of the pills on the street these days are counterfeit pills pressed with fentanyl anyway.

We don't have a huge problem here, but I still carry around a naloxone kit from when I worked at a soup kitchen.

3 people like this.