Trump is not racist: Change my mind

Discussion in 'Politicians' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

If you're part of some kind of minority though its not like you're discriminated by definition when you are underrepresented in TV programs. It COULD be the case, and ignoring a minority trying to garner attention for such a thing IS most often wrong, I agree on that.

I mean what you're saying sounds good, but its also normal to not be able to identify with others on tv, or that in certain programs differences are the focus. If you want EVERY story (or most stories) on tv to be made with you in mind (like certain white americans have indeed gotten used to in the last 50 years, more so than any other american. I agree), then you might get disappointed too :p Which would be good. Because some differences are real and not everything is about us ;)

2. I have no idea what you look like, but, if you pay close attention to television, particularly the advertising, you'll find exactly what you want. They go to great lengths to foster diversity to ensure more and more viewers.

The non-network (fast becoming an archaic term) broadcasters are so desperate to be inclusive they are rushing gay, trans and lesbian characters into scripts. They are doing such a clunky job of it that they're being taken to task by LGBT commenters/tweeters. People know when they're being fed gratuitous tripe.

What I don't get is why, in this day and age, they don't already have their own broadcasting system. Every ethnicity does (except white people of course because that would be racist and promote slavery). There's a theme park in China designed entirely around Jackie Chan. Surely a Will & Grace channel wouldn't be such a stretch. I think we're on the edge of a really weird time folks.

Maybe an ATF network that promotes drinking, guns and smoking. Hell, they'll get rich fast. An Antifa network would be interesting. Or the Christian Bakers network. But really, I want to know why there isn't a 24/7 cannabis network. You know, how to grow, how to smoke, Cheech & Chong every night at 11, lots of ads for brownies and Doritos.

3. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

“To discover who rules over you, find out who you’re not allowed to criticize” -Voltaire

So, we are not allowed to criticize Muhammad the prophet or the religion of Islam. Looks like the religion has more power over us than we realize.

4. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

American TV has always been strange and irrational in the way it presents minorities. The anomaly is enforced by the rich White Republicans who control the TV companies, like Rupert Mudrack. A good example would be the case of the two stereo type Mexicans, Speedy Gonzales who is quick and able to steal from you, and Poncho who is fat and lazy and refuses to work. Mexicans were rarely presented as tall and tough like John Wayne, who invented some rather racist movie lines. The TV and film stereo type hero has now evolved into our modern day hero of the Alt-Right, Donald Trump who can keep Speedy and Poncho out of the White USA.

5. stormountainman

Muslims do not rule you 6. You have a strange irrational leap of logic there. Today Trump's US Marines are shooting Iraqis who protest American occupation in Baghdad. No Muslim occupies an American town.

Okiefreak and Asmodean like this.
  6. 954A0E82-7EAC-4DE8-90B5-9284BF9267CA.jpeg
    All lives matter. It doesn't matter what you watch on tv, who you see down the street, at the local pup, etc.
    Just remember you see coloured skin but you don't see that these people are hurting from the wave of insults you provide them.
    When you see someone on tv think of how they would feel if somebody was being a racist dickhead towards them.

7. Asmodean

If fear is a common ruler and he is concerned that Mohammed or his followers are gonna affect him badly then he kind of is right that Mohammed has power over him ;) But yeah, how is that possible? I would say because of his own fears and not because of Mohammed or the average muslim person that's alive today.

Okiefreak likes this.
  8. Muslim is a religion.
    These people would be pakistan nationals who you are scared of.

9. Asmodean

Huh? Why pakistani in particular? Although they do have a lot of beards, turbans and terrorist attacks over there I think the muslim extremists and/or fundamentalists 6-eyed is concerned about can be found in many countries. Still doesn't make the average muslim there and over here a threat though.

10. Pakistan is closest to syria.

11. Asmodean

I think not. Iran and Iraq are in between. But now I'm also wondering why that would be of significance? Indonesia is also a muslim country with some nasty fundamentalist traits and its nowhere near Syria or Mekka or the middle east. It doesn't matter. And most people who are seriously concerned about muslims are primarily so about the one in their own country.

12. Asmodean

I think we all agree it was like that for a long time, and not only on tv. But you're now describing a situation of the past.

Meh. Aren't there some very different channels?

stormountainman likes this.
  13. Asmodean

Literally? Ok. I'm convinced.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  14. Which is precisely my take on the KKK/White Supremacist revival. Most of the "fear" about them is misplaced. They barely have the resources or following to get a dozen people to a protest (to be swiftly outnumbered by hundreds of counter protesters).

But somehow they are so amazing they can even get black guys to attack Jews. So maybe they are a massive empire of covert assets running racist missions under the radar. Call it "Microterrorism" maybe.

15. stormountainman

Don't forget, Muslims did not colonize America and Canada. The Muslims nations were occupied and colonized by the United Kingdom, France, Italy, and America.

16. stormountainman

There are Asmo. In the US big corporations control this TV business. If you use the old aerial type antenna, you might get something like 16 channels from the towns around you, all corporate with maybe one or two public (government) channels. If you get cable or satellite service, you'll pay about $200 - maybe $250 per month and it is all corporate with dozens of channels which are exclusively advertisements for stuff like jewelry, frying pans, hand bags, and other vanity crap. I've also noticed these corporate channels exclude films and political discussion which Republican/capitalists abhor. It's a classic study in right vs. left propaganda.

17. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

No, not saying that's what I want. It makes sense that white people are represented everywhere since they're the majority in the US. Just potificating...(think I used that word right) that it must be a powerful feeling.

Asmodean likes this.
  18. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

Certainly things are changing now, but there is also a strong resistance to that change. For decades minority audiences had to watch movies and shows with mostly white people and find a way to relate to these characters. And we did. Now, they put gay and minority characters in the media and people complain about a forced diversity agenda. Its heartbreaking

Okiefreak likes this.
  19. Asmodean

I agree that it shouldn't be forced too hard and blatantly. People are then reacting against that, not against the fact minorities get better represented in movies and tv shows. We can be idiots about the way we choose to implement a good idea.