Trout

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by Orsino2, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I've been fishing twice today and I'm about to head out the door. :eek: I caught a shitload of trout.

Do you like trout? :D

What do you do with your trout? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Har har... trout = kickass.

2. mushie18

mushie18 Intergalactic

I've only been fishing a couple times.

I enjoy it, I've caught a couple trout.

No where near the size of the fish in that picture though. I kept it and my family ate it. I'm not a seafood person, myself.

3. loveflower

loveflower Senior Member

:( don't kill fish george

4. MoonjavaSeed

MoonjavaSeed Yeah, Toast!

I ATE a BAYbeh :D

oh aye

baybeh :D

I fish for trout.

I just let them go. I don't think I could eat a trout. I like em too much.

5. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

What kind of trout is that george?

I like em lots...my favourite has to be cuttys or their willingness to take a dry fly :D

I pracice catcha nd release unless we are fishign a stocked pond, then i will occasionally keep them or my brother or friends cause i don't like to eat them

6. Orsino2

Speckled Seatrout.

7. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

mm, that is what i suspected

are those acctual salmonids or are they just called trout?

8. Orsino2

Fish lack the neurons to understand pain. I've lived on the water my entire life and am probably getting a job doing oystering and commercial crabbing.

Aside from that, just because you're a raw vegan doesn't mean I'm a raw vegan. :p It's better than walking to the store and paying for food.

9. loveflower

loveflower Senior Member

now

Says who?? Are you a fish? Do you know what its like to have somebody come along and imply that your entire existence is for their entertainment of themselves so they can hook your mouth and eat you!

10. Orsino2

If I don't, something else will...

Aside from that, saying that is kinda redundant (being a former vegan) out of the fact that the croaker (sciaenops, in general, aside from the redfish) population has exploded. If people don't catch them, what they do out here in the Chesapeake bay is net and catch the overpoplated species and grind them up with fertilizer on the same vegetables that you're buying every day and consuming, as well as the tobacco you're smoking. In fact, the fertilizer on tobacco contains Radon and other radioactive elements, which... ironically, cause cancer. (Who would have thought spraying radioactive isotopes on something you inhale would cause cancer and tumors?).

When the fertilizer run off with that fish and non-organic things, hell, even formaldahyde... comes through river basins such as the Mississippi or the James River (which drains 3/4 of the state of Virginia), it causes things to not decompose as quickly as they should and plantlife will explode, thus causing dead zones and red tides from lack of oxygen and too much algae. This, in turn, starves life of oxygen and will end up killing all the eggs that are lying in the estuaries. Aside from that, it can cause lovely little creatures like fysteria and vibrio to breed... which, in turn, can cause other things like fish poisoning and will rot your arm off. The lack of oxygen will easily kill menhaden/bunker (extremely sensitive when it comes to O2 and ph), which will starve pretty much every other living creature in the bay, as they are the primary food source aside from mud/glass minnows, oysters, sandworms, and crabs.

You also have the same problem off the coast of North Carolina with Red Tides and Dead Zones in all the sounds and inlets. This wasn't happening ten or twenty years ago and was unheard of in most places besides South of the Mississippi River Delta.

Just thought you'd like to know before you say something else, because I don't think catching three or four fish for myself isn't going to hurt anyone else's well being, for the most part... I'm a member of Oceana, the Chesapeake Bay Association, and I've done my time working on reseeding oyster reefs in the Rappahannock, Ware, North, East, Severn, James, and York River... as well as the Mobjack Bay and the Chesapeake. I started volunteering when I was twelve years old and I'll still go out in Summers and do it.

I've seen what overpopulation and a foreign species can do in a matter of a year or less. Whelks and shellfish from Japan are destroying the bay to the point where the Virginia Institute of Marine Science is actually paying commercial watermen to turn the whelks in to their headquarters in my county so no further damage will happen to our ecosystem.

How do you think fireants came to the US? They came over from Asia and South America on ships that ended up in Mobile Bay.

I understand the morality of your argument and I agree with you, but I've lived on Chesapeake and Mobjack to know that this ecosystem is in danger because people have overharvested oysters and blue crabs for the past 75 years without doing restoration efforts until the last 25, aside from that, there's too much of one species, not enough of the other, and foreign species have completely destroyed the food chain. The company I'm working for farms their own oysterbeds in the rivers and that's why they're trying to hire me...

In fact, when I go out there sometime, I'll have to take pictures of the reefs.

http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/scienceques2005/20060519.htm

11. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

Trout are great.

Burb, trout refers to several species of salmon.

Loveflower, fish don't care about our opinions of them.

Orsino, theres no evidence that commercially fertilized tobacco is any more dangerous then normal tobacco.

12. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

George, you rule. Yay for conservation!

Oh, I know, I was pretty sure that the pic George posted was a speakled trout because I have seen it once or twice on really old Bill Dance or Roland Martin shows or something, but I don't thinkthat it is in the same family as Trout, Charr, and Salmon. That is why I was asking what Family it is in (Salmonid is the family for Salmons, Trouts and Charrs)

13. loveflower

loveflower Senior Member

You're not a fish!!

14. Inavacuum

Inavacuum Senior Member

i went to a trout hatchery near north carolina last year...they're getting endagered int hat area so they breed them then put them in these huge tanker trucks and release them itno the creeeks and waht not. They had rainbow trout, speckled trout, and a ton of others i cant remember. It was a cool place. You could just reach down and rgab a trout and look at it and throw it back in

15. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

I know.

But I want to be.

Why do you keep rubbing my disability in my face. [​IMG]

16. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

Rainbow trout are an introduced species. The only native population east of the Continental Divide is in the Athabasca River System in Alberta... :)

17. Inavacuum

Inavacuum Senior Member

wow, didnt kno that

18. Orsino2

Yeah, I've volunteered for some of the hatcheries, though I mostly deal with members of the Sciaenops... basically, drum.

Croakers, spot, red drum (redfish), black drum, etc...

We released tens of thousands of cobia and red drum into the Chesapeake about a month ago. All of them are tagged, for release fishermen. After they reach maturity, people can keep them and they have to return tags in and notify their location.

It's nice to know a little project you do in a small town in Virginia can have an effect on the rest of the East Coast.

19. Orsino2

Well, I'm a blood descendent of John Rolfe... and back in his day of colonization and tobacco trading with the Spaniards, they didn't know of cancers or anything. Everyone viewed tobacco, salts, spices, veggies, and freshwater like oil is today. (The Jamestown colonists, of course, tried to live off of saltwater and had the famine)

I just have to wonder (though there really is no circumstantial evidence) why they didn't get cancer from it then or really have any health problems from it.

I mean, you have to get a license to grow it, but plenty of people don't give a rat's ass about tobacco licensure in Virginia and North Carolina. Alot of people grow it around here for chewing or personal use anyway.

I've always wanted to try a little project between dried tobacco from companies like Phillip Morris (I had family that used to work at the headquarters in Richmond, as well, and my dad was about to get a job there) and self-grown organic tobacco.

Anywho, whatever.

20. Orsino2

Neither are you!! [​IMG]

I wanted to be an ichthyologist when I was little.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speckled_Trout

I'ma go fill up the my truck, dump some garbage, recycle some stuff, and go jump in the river.. maybe catch some fish??!?!?! oh my. [​IMG]

[​IMG]... [​IMG] Sorry Becky.