Trouble meditating

Discussion in 'Yoga and Meditation' started by Thecookiemonster, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Thecookiemonster

Thecookiemonster Member

I've been having some trouble while meditating lately and could use some advice.. When i do it sober it seems to go pretty well, i feel better but its still difficult to empty my mind completely for more than a minute or so. When I smoke and then meditate i make some crazy realizations but i get too jittery and i feel like the flow in me is really messed up so a cant focus most of the time, and have all these random thoughts taking over me. I feel like this is because i've smoked for years and never really used it for this but idk. Should i use the herb to try and calm it down and heal me or should i just stick to doing it sober for now?

2. mwmontgomery

mwmontgomery Guest

A great way to meditate is with a guided meditation. If you decide you want to try it then here is a free guided meditation for you to try.

I would try to do it sober by the way.

3. plebe

plebe Member

Read the material at the World Mind Society Library, especially the Higher and Higher Still series of articles. There is a lot of information there and I'm sure you will find something apropos to your query here. Here's the URL: http://www.eoni.com/~visionquest/library.html

4. Thecookiemonster

Thecookiemonster Member

thanks for the link i forgot all about that site

5. haru19

haru19 Banned

Choose a tranquil location - one free from distractions.
    Decide whether you'd like to have meditation music in the background.
    Select a comfortable chair or place to sit, and assume a sitting position with your spine relatively straight.
    Close your eyes.
    Breathe in, allowing your rib cage and belly to expand as you inhale.
    Exhale slowly.
    Concentrate on your breathing. Be aware of each breath and the feelings of deeper relaxation.
    Allow thoughts and feelings to enter your mind. Acknowledge them, allow them to pass, and refocus on your breathing.
    Open your eyes after you feel more relaxed and centered.

6. keli36keli47

keli36keli47 Guest

Utilizing tones like binaural beats can help some achieve a meditative state more easily. It has helped me so much that I decided to write on a blog about it. It is a work in progress but eventually I hope to have quite a bit of information about meditation downloads.