Trouble eating with labret piercing?

Discussion in 'Body Modification' started by lace_and_feet, May 16, 2007.

1. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

Anyone here who has or has had their labret pierced, did you have trouble eating? I might be getting mine done here soon and I'm afraid of biting down on it whilst eating.

2. ItsALoveThing

ItsALoveThing Member

You kind of have to re-train your lip to move differently while chewing. I bit down on it a few times in the first few weeks, but once you switch it to a shorter bar you should be fine. Every once in a while I catch my bar between my two lower teeth...

I've had mine for two years and haven't had much of a problem. You kind of learn what makes the bar get in your way and what doesn't.

Good luck and enjoy it!!

3. is....is it in yet?

is....is it in yet? Member

I have had mine for four years and never had a problem, i don't even wear the ball i just wear the stem. The very first day felt a little funny eating but you quickly adjust. I still remember what i had mmmm pizza

4. lace_and_feet

Thanks for replying. I feel better about it; I'm sure I'll learn to adjust when the time comes.

Any idea if piercing it lower can help minimize propensity to get bitten? Meaning, instead of piercing it directly below my lip line, having it pierced lower down. Logically it seems that it would decrease chances but I couldn't know. Any thoughts to this?

5. mushie18

mushie18 Intergalactic

I had my lip pierced to the side a while back.

I didn't have too much trouble eating with it.

6. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

I've never had any problems with mine. Mine isn't right below the lower lip though, there's about 1cm in between the piercing and the lip. Post pictures when you get it done! :D

7. wanderin_blues

wanderin_blues Banned

i would say that having it pierced lower down would make it less likely to get bitten for some people. i cant wear a flatback labret stud in my lip and its pierced relativly low but not quite a labret placement. last time i tried a flatback i chipped my tooth, hurt like a bitch. but everyone i know with a labret placement have no problem eating. your piercer should know what to do. if your getting pierced with a stud, he or she should place it low enough so it wont be a problem. just be careful when you first eat and youll get used to it.

8. shine_crazydiamond

shine_crazydiamond Member

well, i have the side of my lip pierced with a laberet stud and it did get in the way at first. I bit it all the time which hurt like hell but after awhile, i got a shorter stud and it worked better( as in i didn't bite it as much)

9. lace_and_feet

So the consensus seems to be that:
    A. Some people have problems with it, some people don't.
    and
    B. Either way, I'll learn to adjust eventually.

OK, thanks everyone for the replies. :)

10. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

I had mine for about a year. It gave me a lot of hassle while eating. Mine wasn't right on my lip line, either.
    I bit it a few times which hurt like freaking hell. It did a number on my teeth. They were sore all the time. Dentist said some enamel probably is missing. I suggest getting a rubber backed stem for the piercing once it's healed.

11. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

it was hard to eat with mine for about a week or two after I got it done. Really had to concentrate about how I ate. But eventually, like others said, I just got used to it and it hasn't really happened since. Most of the time I don't even know it's even there,