Trippy Bedroom

Discussion in 'Home Decor and Household Tips' started by LucyInTheSky777, Aug 4, 2007.

1. LucyInTheSky777

LucyInTheSky777 Member

i want to add some hippieishness to my bedroom. i already have a lava lamp and twinkly xmas lights, i don't really want/have a place for a bean bag chair, a paint job in not an option, i have a blue wooden loft bed, and all my furniture pretty much has to stay where it is now. i have light blue walls (good light blue, not babyish), wood floors, and three nice big windows, but due to the (completely necessary) furninture i have, i don't have much wall space. i really like my bedroom how it is, but it could use something. any ideas? i read all the other threads like this one but most of the suggestions weren't any good for my room. help!

2. John lennon Peace

John lennon Peace Member

maybe move your bed onto ground i did and i sleep better it is just a matress

3. nynysuts

nynysuts No Gods, No Masters

you could by lots of multicoloured voile material and drape it over furniture, tie dye your curtains, buy a patchworky quilt (or make one) for your bed, burn joss sticks, paint flowers on your ceilng and top of the walls, do a mural on your wardrobne or chest of drawers, it'll look great!

4. LucyInTheSky777

LucyInTheSky777 Member

yeah except i really love my loft bed and the extra space i get from having my bed in the air :)

5. pepper67

pepper67 Member

i have a brick and board bookshelf. 5 bricks up is perfect for storing records and whatever. on top i have an indian mandela cloth and a buddah and stuff.

6. farabovetheclouds

farabovetheclouds Member

A garden in a bottle is a great way to brighten up your space, and you can either make one or buy it readymade. I find that lots of little minature things really make my room intresting, like mini zen gardens and highly detailed frames/candleholders etc. but it all depends on your taste really

hope thats helped :)

7. John lennon Peace

John lennon Peace Member

i just made a zen garden but i want a bonsai tree

8. Wynter0226

Wynter0226 Member

Well, since you're 13 why don't you go the flower power route? You can get stickers or even print out some groovy flowers you find online and then tape (so you don't ruin the paint) them to the walls, your tv, a mirror, whatever you want. Thats one idea.

You can add some great plants or flowers to the room.

I think the tie-dye curtain idea was a good suggestion.

You can get those beaded curtains to hang over your door or closet door.

You can get really cheap hippie posters online. So maybe ask for some that you like for your Birthday or Christmas.

If you're allowed to burn inscence or candles in your room thats always good.

Find a cool hippie calendar for your wall.

Make your own art - peace signs, smiley faces, flowers.

I hope all that helps.

9. LucyInTheSky777

LucyInTheSky777 Member

good suggestions peoples. thanks for your help :)

10. Ms.Oh!

Ms.Oh! Senior Member

everyone says my room is way hippie-ish. it is my domain, the one place that i feel reflects my personality, and i think it should always be that way.

my advice would be to surround yourself with things that you love and let it accumulate from there

all my furniture has batiked coverings on them, i have a lot of beaded and embroidered pillows and such, and i am really into surrealism art and old vintage fillmore style posters.

11. LauraMay

LauraMay Rainbow Humper

Or you could make one! I did lol they're heaps of fun to make. Just get a rod or a bamboo stick and string, straws, beads, whatever, and go crazy. I used coloured straws.. I really like it! :)

I like all of the other suggestions, too.

I did that on my shelf, but I swapped rooms with my mum and now she has it. I'd love to get another one. You could try that.

12. jahmerimaka

jahmerimaka Member

Like the others have said, surround yourself with things that represent you. and that you love. And if you are a hippy, your room will be perfect for you.

My room i guess could be hippie-ish. I have my surfboard guitar skimboard. Posters, art,bob marley flag, stickers on my wall. crafts, hemp string, candles incense lava lamp big round loft chair,. I have art all over my desk from my drawings. Make your room represent you, with out a specified goal. It will accumulate to an area that is sacred.

13. lostdazedintime

lostdazedintime Fucked in the head

I got blacklight posters cover the walls, it's absolutely garish at night with that sweet black light, apparently it gives wierd dreams.

14. filthyfury

filthyfury Member

mosquito nets are way cool too for over your bed

15. EarthChildOfPeace

EarthChildOfPeace Member

i had a crazy hippie room when i was younger, but it was v. small and crowded, to add some dimension and nature in the room, i got a sturdy, tall vase, about 2 feet tall, and put three super long sticks of bamboo in them, they brought the eye way up to the ceiling and don't take up much space, i put mine in the corner, it cost me about 15 bucks. for another cool touch, you could paint the bamboo in trippy patterns and swirly designs.

i also needed some bowls for my doodads like jewlery or makeup, so i took some of my shittiest vynils, put them on top of bowls and threw them in the microwave for 10 min. they get rly soft, and when you take them out press them against the bowl, and let them stand for 5 min, and you have cool record bowls.

16. EarthChildOfPeace

EarthChildOfPeace Member

i also used to paint portraits of the beatles, buddha some crazy hindu goddesses and mushrooms all over my walls. although when my mom came home and saw my room she was a little upset, and 3 years later when i needed a painjob for my walls it took forever to cover up the painting so they wouldn't show through.

17. EarthChildOfPeace

EarthChildOfPeace Member

Just a question, I want my matress on the floor, but my mom told me that it will wreck the mattress and create some funky problems with the hardwood floor. Is this true or does she just want me to keep my bedframe?

18. LikeanArtist

LikeanArtist Member

This is fucking amazing. I'm not going to use any of my own collection of course, they mean too much, but the thrift store will be open Monday morning and they have old records for super cheap. I'm so excited! ...well giddy really.
    I'll post pics.

19. EarthChildOfPeace

EarthChildOfPeace Member

Kkk, I totally lied, don't put them in the micro for 10 min, try about 2 min or else they may blow up! Other than that have fun :D They are pretty wild.
    On one of mine I took shitty nailpolish and drizzled it all over the rim and sides of the bowl. it was v.v. fun, although it may have been just bcuz i was stoned.. good luck dear

20. LikeanArtist

LikeanArtist Member

My mom and I share a craft room with an old microwave, so no worries if it takes a few tries. And I can get old shitty records for like 3/$1 so its all cool.
    Would you start with 2 minutes and move up?
    I guess my question is will it fuck it up if I start and stop the microwave.
    Maybe I'm thinking of popcorn, lol, who knows?!

Also I like the idea of painting on them afterward. It is going to be amazing.
    Thanks again.