Trickle down

Discussion in 'Politics' started by scratcho, Nov 19, 2017.

1. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Best analogy I've heard yet: Stuff a horse with as much oats as possible and eventually some will fall to the ground.

2. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

"A rising tide lifts all yachts"

GeorgeJetStoned and GLENGLEN like this.
  3. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

It doesn't fall as oats though.

scratcho likes this.
  4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Trickle down...

Sounds like a personal problem. Similar to incontinence...

magickman and GLENGLEN like this.
  5. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

I've hated this term since Reagan. Instead of a race war, the US really needs a class war.

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

O0ooo000 I will be in sports class then. And I'm gone throw down and beat up those poofy cooking class folks.

7. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

The problem with trickle down theory is that the rich spend money. But a lot of them are cheap and that's how they became rich. Especially if they already have all the assets they need.

Plus, a lot of them are letting the money trickle down--in the form of things like trust funds--to their own families. These people create wealth and then have a legacy. Very few are going to throw millions into the economy simply because they can--especially if they don't need to. There's a reason a lot of rich people are conservative.

snowtiggernd, YouFreeMe and scratcho like this.
  8. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

“There’s class warfare, all right, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.”

Warren Buffett

Hugs & Spit, scratcho and magickman like this.
  9. Shameful but true

10. pineapple08

pineapple08 Members

Start with Ryan and Co.

11. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Here is an article I found really informative about the tax bill. It said that the poor will end up losing money on healthcare costs, therefore they are getting the short end of the stick. It's not that they will be taxed more, but that the bill will eliminate the required health care mandate. When that happens the CBO (and the JCT, I think) says that healthcare costs will go up.

Senate GOP tax bill hurts the poor more than originally thought, CBO finds

I also saw a video this morning of Congress in session. There was a democratic senator, I don't know who, saying something about how we all know that trickle down doesn't translate to higher wages. Chairman Orin Hatch got pissed off and wouldn't let anybody talk after that. They had to employ the gavel to restore order.

12. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

13. Kerri

Kerri Members

This is exactly it. It was never a real theory but rather a justification for crappy economic policy

Meliai and snowtiggernd like this.
  14. txbarefooter

txbarefooter Senior Member

trickle down did not work in the 80's and won't work now. the whole idea that the rich/big business will take profits and create jobs is ludicrous or the jobs they do create you can live on. Also, when the economy take a dive, it will at some point, the rich and big business will protect themselves by cutting those same jobs to keep profits up or they will declare bankruptcy and get out from under the debt but leaving the workers and investors with the empty bag.

15. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Let's talk about real life situations rather than hypothetical bullshit.
    Who here was working at an adult job during reaganomics and also during Obamacare and what was the difference to you?

snowtiggernd likes this.
  16. Kerri

Kerri Members

That makes no sense. You can draw zero logical conclusions from comparing Reagonics to a healthcare plan. The entire world is different 30 years later plus you are arbitrarily taking a small snapshot of time. How about compare the first Bush (who was part of Reagonimcs economic theory) to Clinton’s economic results. Is the genious Reagan theory - Reagan btw would be too liberal for the wing nuts in today’s GOP who blindly idolize him - only good for a couple years??

MeAgain likes this.
  17. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

I'm not trying to compare the plans but just how much life is pretty much the same no matter what the tax plan is.
    And since Obamacare is considered a tax I think it is somewhat relevant.
    On a side note....I was just working a school job when Bush was president so I didn't follow him closely but from what I remember he raised taxes so that dosnt mesh with what Reagan was trying to do.

18. Kerri

Kerri Members

Obamacare is an expansion of the nationalized health care we’ve had for decades. Literally every federal and state prorgan is a tax in terms of its funding source

Its also impossible to know what caused the economic boom near the start of Reagan’s second term. His first was mired largely in recession

His tax reform plan - passed mostly on sympathy for his assasination attempt - surely had a positive impact. But the boom started in reality when the federal reserve policies got the rampant inflation under control. That also surely helped - and the two policies likely helped each other. These options were simply not available to Obama nor were the causes of the 2008 downturn at all similar to the causes Reagan had to deal with.

Bottom line is you can’t just look at the numbers and draw a hard conclusion. National econonic forces are far more complex than simple one issue cause and effect

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  19. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

You can look at it that way but my taxes aren't different than my neighbors because of the fire department. It is different because of my Healthcare needs.

20. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

They have disagreements practically every time they meet, but I don't always see video of it. Red line? That's interesting. Is that one side for the House of Lords, and one for the House of Commons? I would imagine that must be. I don't know the functions of Parliament's houses, but I came upon their names during my visit to London. So if I'm way off base, that's because I don't know what I'm talking about... lol! :)

pensfan13 likes this.
  21. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

I don't remember exact figures but under Reagan loan interest was higher and investment return interest was lower. And under Obama this turned completely around in our favor.

pensfan13 likes this.