Treating children as equals

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction Books' started by Eternity, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Eternity

Eternity Member

I recently came across Naomi Aldort's book 'Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves' - which is, for me, a miracle, and which I cannot recommend highly enough. She understands what's going in children's minds and hearts like no one I've ever heard of - and the book contains more than two hundred pages of concrete advice on how to deal with children so as to completely respect them, using no coercion whatsoever.
    This is about letting children grow up in dignity - about letting them become whole and healthy individuals - concepts which I claim don't even exist anymore in today's society, in any meaningful sense. In my opinion, the book's of crucial importance, for where else should a real transformation of our society start if not with our kids?

2. surreal_charm

surreal_charm Member

seems like a great read. i must get that. thanks for sharing.

3. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

I'd be interested in that. I have long been an advocate of treating children as hole beings, as opposed to projects completed when they reach adulthood.

Granted, as dependents of mine, I would establish limits ("Unfortunately, I can't let you do that because of such and such, but you can do this")..., in everything else I would treat them like adults.

I don't even like the word "childish" or "mature". :D

4. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I remember being discriminated against by adults as a young teen. I vowed to not be like that to young teenagers when I got old. I don't interact with minors hardly ever. But I hope to stay true to my word.

5. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I was always told -"be quiet-children are to be seen,not heard". I didn't like it and that attitute kept me thinking that I didn't matter much for quite a few years. I damn sure did differantly by my kids. Sounds like a common sense read.

6. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

I was a child that absolutely hated being treated like a child, from as young as I can remember.
    I've always been semi-serious and very curious, and I've always wanted to learn the truth and nothing but it.

My parents were pretty good about accommodating me :)

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

my family has always treated my nephew like an equal and as a result he's an extremely intelligent, thoughtful child that relates very well to adults. He hates it when people talk down to him and it makes him lose respect for whoever is doing the talking down. I've been able to carry on complex conversations with him since he was four years old. I think treating him as an equal has made him very mature compared to other kids his age.

8. CoolRunnings

CoolRunnings Member

I looked at this thread and saw: Treating children as sequals.

9. Seashell

Seashell Member

I am in college as an early childhood education major. I am a big supporter of treating children like actual human beings, not just potential human beings. To treat them as someone who is equal, even if dependent, fosters their imagination and lets them know it's okay to be curious, and to ask questions, and to learn things for yourself, instead of simply retaining the knowledge adults try to cram into your mind and blocking out what adults tell you is wrong. I'll definitely look into this book, thanks.

10. RobynCB90

RobynCB90 Member

My mother still treats/talks to me as a child: in fact, she treats everyone like a child. I couldn't be more supportive of this idea of treating everyone (not just children) as equals. I wanted to be treated as an equal for my entire life. Thankfully, I'm very self-motivated so I looked beyond my mother for guidance as to who I was.

11. slappyman

slappyman Member

I've never talked down to my kids and have always tried to explain the reasons for my decisions. But I also let them know my decision are final, I'm not running a democracy, although it would seem my wife has the veto power and she exorcises it when she sees fit.

12. OhSoDreadful

OhSoDreadful Childish Idealist

bump! I'm all about getting rid of ageism :)