Trash left behind after the gathering

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by John13np, Mar 8, 2011.

1. John13np

John13np Member

I support the Rainbow family, although I have never been to one I would love to go.

That being said, I work for the US Forest Service and I love my job. I worked on the Ocala NF in 2008 and there was a gathering there. Well, since I was only 18 at the time, I did not go (although I wish I had of). Well, after the gathering myself and two other FS employees went to the site where the gathering was held, and the place was trashed. I was very disappointed because I know that most of the Rainbow Family would never let this happen.

So, my question is, why do you not clean up better? I know you all want to. So why not do it?

2. Agar

Agar Member

The ocala gathering is nolonger a rainbow family event, it is just a party in the woods that is partly attended by rainbow family people. I have been to 2 national & several regionals around the country, as well as 3 ocala gatherings. I feel that the ocala event is an embarassment to the rainbow family name, please don't let your observations in the ocala forest taint your opnion about the rainbow family.

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yeah but being considerate means you have to take others opinions into consideration.

4. John13np

John13np Member

Oh I see. I did not know that. It makes sense.

Still a shame that there's always trash left behind :(

5. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

good grief . if the trash had not been picked up that wood be the end of forest service patience with rainbow family in the ocala forest . it gets done , even tho you did not personally see it happen .

trash itself is a shame , and it's an american industrial consumeristic societal shame .

occasionally forest service employees are shameful in
    taking pictures of themselves standing next to
    hippie trash piles .

6. sonoran sam

sonoran sam Member

too many people feel it's not their responsibility to look after each other's safety at recent gatherings so why be surprised if other people's trash is also overlooked...

freedom without responsibility is no freedom at all...

7. deleted

deleted Visitor

Ive seen people collecting trash and not participating in other RF activities, cause they were to busy cleaning up trash.. been a while though ...

8. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

I used to work for the USFS, and I found it so annoying to the point of pure nauseation that people are so intent on making the environment better, making these "profound changes" (PUKE!) in the laws, when all they have to do to make a profound change is PICK UP AFTER THEMSELVES!!!!!!

Fuck, man! IT IS SO SIMPLE!
    But nah, they wanna make a lasting change that their children and grand children and the whole fucking world all over will sing praises and hold memorials for them. What the fuck ever. Just pick up after yourselves man! That's all!

9. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

because it gives out a bad rep to those who may not deserve it.

10. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

They don't care about any bad rep it gives anyone. Quite frankly, they just don't care!
    Which completely separates them from us.

11. John13np

John13np Member

I agree with Logan to an extent. Too many people in the Rainbow family like to THINK they're doing good, when they really are not.

Saying is one thing, acting is another.

I like what the Rainbow family TRYS to do (and many of them are successful), but damnit, why can't trash be picked up? It's simple, it really is.

But, I have ever only seen the rainbow gathering in Ocala, I hope not all gatherings are as dirty.

And Tikoo, WTF? You didn't make any sense, and why is it bad for FS employees to take pictures of the trash that they cleaned up behind people that should pick it up themselves. Can you not see that leaving a trashed forest is a bad thing? People like you (at least what your comment suggest) are why the USFS does not like the Rainbows. Honestly, the rainbows picked up after themselves, the USFS would have absolutely no problems with them (expect for the hippie haters. They're out there, beware!)

12. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

the fs did not clean it up . they posed with trash like they had just bagged a dirty hippy moose .

the trash from the gathering gets picked up by
    the last of the rainbow family to leave . sometimes it takes awhile .
    who really wants
    to leave paradise ?

13. John13np

John13np Member

Trust me, the family DID leave trash, and the LEO's (USFS Police) and Rec Techs DID pick A LOT of the trash up. I was disappointed.

I hear from other Family members that Ocala is the worst gathering that there is. A bunch of kids that want to be hippies. It's just another fad down there. To be real to the environment, you should ALWAYS pick your trash up. Not a week later after the trash can blown around (which it did the year that i worked on the Ocala)

14. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

i don't know the specifics of the gathering
    you worked at . if your interested in what i
    say , you can investigate the naturalist reports
    made public after every large gathering .

you show signs of being indoctrinated
    by evil people . whether they be dirty or clean ,
    they are of the stupid sort .

peace has it's enemies .

15. John13np

John13np Member

I never used the word stupid, and I never would. At least they make the attempts of going out to learn, and try new things. That's great.

Never the less, there was trash left behind. A lot of it. Not cool.

I cleaned up after the 2008 Ocala rainbow gathering.

16. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

i cleaned up after the 2005 .

17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I don't know enough about the rainbow family to pass judgement on them, but I think its disgusting when anyone leaves trash behind. If you're in nature and you're enjoying nature, why would you want to trash it up and make it less enjoyable for the people that come after you? Makes no sense, man.

I do know the rainbow family came about because of a native american prophecy that men and women would return to the ways of the natives and try to live in harmony with the earth. So, if indeed the people leaving behind trash were members of the rainbow family and not random people just looking for a party, then thats a bit hypocritical.

18. John13np

John13np Member

The rainbow family has a bad, bad reputation with the USFS. I would very much like to change that around, and I will do my small part to make that happen, but if trash gets left behind like it has in the past, then there is no way the USFS personal will ever give in.

19. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

never say but

20. John13np

John13np Member

but, she has a point :) :p