Translation for "beautiful"

Discussion in 'Portuguese' started by russell2, Feb 9, 2012.

1. russell2

russell2 Guest

Is there a portuguese word that would be equivalent to the english word "beautiful" BUT not in the sense of Beauty but a "beautiful person" in other words is beautiful in the sense of being wonderful in ALL aspects : kind, considerate, thoughtful, loving , compassionate, genuine.... etc etc . we say for example "you are a beautiful man" !
    thanks
    Russell

2. seizedbyanger

seizedbyanger Banned

you will probably have better luck on yahoo answers

answers.yahoo.com and go to the portuguese section

3. vitaoma

vitaoma Guest

Is there a portuguese word that would be equivalent to the english word "beautiful" BUT not in the sense of Beauty but a "beautiful person" in other words is beautiful in the sense of being wonderful in ALL aspects : kind, considerate, thoughtful, loving , compassionate, genuine.... etc etc . we say for example "you are a beautiful man" !
    thanks
    Russell

I speak Portuguese (I am Brazilian) and can't think of a word such as this. Here is the translation for each of the words you said:
    kind - gentil
    considerate - atencioso
    thoughtful - atencioso, compreensivo
    loving - amável
    compassionate - compassivo
    genuine - genuíno

The word I think would convey best this meaning is "bom" (good) or "grande" (great), like in the phrases below:

Você é um bom homem. - You're a good man.
    Você é um grande homem. - You're a great man.

4. Bonguinhas

Bonguinhas Member

I must agree with viatoma, unspite of being quite difficult speaking portuguese, when it talks about words, is quite simple.

I wish we could be more "japanese" and actually as one word to define it all, we haven't though.

Beautiful in the sense of "beautiful person" is accepted. Is not required you say beautiful as "Beauty" , but being beautiful in very ways.

To be honest is quite the same as in english.

5. Saul50

Saul50 Members

1. Bonita (female).
    2, Bonito (male).
    There are the more common translations: uma menina bonita (a beautiful girl), um menino bonito (a beautifull boy)

6. Tiger3

Tiger3 Members

I am Luso-American with roots in Madeira, and I honestly think metaphor and "analogy" are major conveyors of meaning in Portuguese. There don't seem to be "pure univocal meanings" to words but they all get their meaning from context. So the word for "beautiful person" as you seek is one of those. Perhaps an example will do. There is a song sung by Marizza, "O Gente Da Minha Terra." The phrase i n that title says what she means but each word alone can mean so many things. But it is more or less, "How Dear/Precious my homeland is to me [Portugal]." She often sings it with so much feeling, she brings us to tears. So mayb e if you could give us a little more to go on besides the single word we might be able to do better for you.