Trans Day of Visibility - March 31st

Discussion in 'Transexual and Transgender' started by KathyL, Mar 15, 2022.

1. KathyL

KathyL Super Moderator Super Moderator

[​IMG]

March 31st every year is the International Transgender Day of Visibility. Many of us are forced to "fly under the radar" by other people's attitudes. The Day of Visibility is an excuse to pop our heads up and be seen.

What does it mean to be visible? For someone who is still in the closet, it might mean wearing some clothes of your true gender. For an ally, it might mean wearing a pin or ribbon with a trans flag on it. For someone who is already out and proud, it might mean encouraging our timid friends to be a little bolder.

Yes, it can be scary to be visible. There are places where it could be dangerous. If you are in such a place, of course, put your safety first. But in many places, we just don't know and fear the worst unfairly.

I feared the worst when I was ready to come out in my rednecky, very rural village. But, when I made myself visible (I stood up at a community meeting and told everyone I was trans.), nothing bad happened. Now, five years later, I am accepted and respected in the community.

If you are thinking about peeking out of the closet, TDoV is the perfect opportunity to give it a try.

BranJon79, snowtiggernd and ~Zen~ like this.
  2. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

Thank you for posting this! Hurray, you all deserve a day like this!

Heck, the entire planet needs educating on this subject.

NookaTheNook and KathyL like this.
  3. NookaTheNook

NookaTheNook Members

Never give up fighting, eventually everyday will be a day of visibility for you .

~Zen~ and KathyL like this.
  4. KathyL

Thanks.

Every day is already a day of visibility for me. I am myself full-time. My friends already know that I am trans. And if a stranger asks (and convinces me they have a legitimate interest), I will tell them. It doesn't get more visible than that.

I wish the same degree of freedom for all the other trans folks out there.

~Zen~ and NookaTheNook like this.
  5. KathyL

Today was TDoV. Sorry to be posting so late in the day. I hope everyone who was ready to be visible today had an opportunity to be so.

I am visible all the time, but I wore a transgender flag button to make sure I was visibly visible today. I was in the city for an appointment, so I was actually interacting with real-world people.

For anyone who wasn't ready to be visible, don't worry. There's always next year.

snowtiggernd likes this.