Train-hopping

Discussion in 'Find-A-Ride' started by hippyman, Jan 11, 2005.

1. hippyman

hippyman Member

How safe is this?

2. GuySmiley

GuySmiley Member

Not very.....

3. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

not safe at all. I have friends who hop trains. Life is tough. You have alot to worry about... my advice is if your not an experianced traveler don't do it.

4. guitarslinger

guitarslinger Schwa

then again you have to get some expierence somewhere, look for some vets of this and tag along,

5. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

Gangs of Hobos hang out in trains...if you're not in their gang, and you happen to run into them, they'll rough you up, and at worse kill you. I've heard some crazy stories...I agree with the above poster. Find people or someone that's experienced and tag along with them for awhile...less dangerous that way.

6. pharmer420

pharmer420 Member Lifetime Supporter

I would not recomend it. Stick with passenger service--- it's safer

7. jesikhaviolet

jesikhaviolet Member

what's dangerous about train-hopping? if you've got the same definition as me, isn't it just going on a train and not paying? that's just as safe as any train journey, with the possible risk that you'll get chucked off and fined... but they can't find you cos you won't have i.d on you...

8. Earthy Mama

they have train gangs and wrecking crews... if a train gang finds you odds are they'll fuck with you. Wrecking crews... they'll kill you. They look for people who are hopping the trains and if they find you in their train yard they will fuck you up. Doesn't matter if your a girl, they'll either beat you or kill you. Thats why it is dangerous. The danger of falling while trying to hop on the train is another risk... its not comfortable also because whatever car you jump in thats what your stuck riding with. Would you really want to ride with a bunch of cargo and get bounced and jumbled around? A train carrying cargo doesn't have the comfort of a passenger train. It is a more rough ride. If you don't have I.D. on you you'll probably just be held until the police get a name and address to fine you at.

9. jesikhaviolet

jesikhaviolet Member

ah - so its kinda different to train hopping here really. its not really that bad here...

10. Earthy Mama

lol i guess if i ever want to experiance train hopping ill head over to europe :)
    just dont come here and try it!

11. ILoveMyGuitar

ILoveMyGuitar Member

I wanted to try it this summer, and I figured I'd just go with some friends. Now I'm not sure how much that will actually help.

Peace :)

12. Terrapin Flyer

Terrapin Flyer Banned

13. Terrapin Flyer

Terrapin Flyer Banned

ive hopped alot of trains. if you have a dog dont do it. if you can count the 4 bolts on the wheel while its moving then its going slow enough to safely hop it. if yer a girl dont go alone becasue if the FTRA gang. eryn said somthin about wrecking crews? i dont know where this came from casue wrecking crew is a dead tour family thing. has nothing to do with train hopping. and watch out for the yard bulls( train cops). as for cargo, the only box cars you can get into wont have any cargo at all in em'. thats why they arent locked.

~let yer lovelight shine~
    Sundance

14. Earthy Mama

ok well then i got whatever they're called wrong, big deal, its dangerous thats the point...