Traffic Light Problem In Detroit.

Discussion in 'Michigan' started by Jimbee68, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I live in Detroit. There, I said it. Now, that having been said, my problem...

There seems to be a problem with burn-out traffic signals in Detroit. Oh, it is not serious yet. But it does concern me. Yeah, usu. it is just a green light bulb, or less frequently a red one. Never on the same direction. But realize if it did, that would be dangerous, don't you agree?

Actually, I got the number and email address of a public official in Detroit. She welcomed my feedback on the problem, and promised to see to it each intersection I reported was attended to. But that was about 10 years ago, and I have since lost her contact information. (And you realize, it would be embarrassing to contact her now, after such a long silent period, even if I found her number/email.)

Do any of you have any suggestions how I could handle this problem now? Phone numbers, emails and just general advice would be welcomed.

Thank you in advance to all who reply:thanks:.

2. riverman18

riverman18 solid gold brass

Reach out to the Dept. of Public Works. In most cities that's who maintains traffic signals and signs. I'm sure the city's website has contact info.

3. Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale ( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

If you come to a traffic light that is completely out, treat it as a stop sign. Any intersection becomes a 4-way stop if the lights are not working.

If there is more than one vehicle arriving at the same time at the 4-way stop, the vehicle furthest to the right is allowed to leave first.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_2075341_handle-4way-stop.html#ixzz2mqcClbuf

4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

is this actually a serious post?

if not then its the funniest pseudo-source post i've ever read

5. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Somebody Made A Thread About This Problem A

Short While Back, And Apparently The Answer Is That The City Is

Effectivly Bankrupt...:)

Cheers Glen.

6. TwistedYeti

TwistedYeti Guest

I was reading about the traffic and street light issues in Detroit. It was something like 1 in 10 miles of roads had completely burnt out street lights plus misc traffic lights burnt out. Unfortunately, Detroit is filing for bankruptcy…the first time a US city has ever filed for bankruptcy. So calling the city want do much good. You can thank the UA4 and other related automobile manufacturing unions.

7. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

Actually, it's not quite that bad yet. I live and travel mainly on the west side. And I have yet to encounter an intersection where the whole traffic light is not working. And I want to keep it that way. Get it?

I tried Public Works. And as I suspected, they don't have an email address (which is my primary way of contact with people now). I also sent an alert to a local news problem solving series. I will let you all know how that works out.

:love:

8. TwistedYeti

TwistedYeti Guest

Detroit is Bankrupt…Get it?!?

I'm sorry but It's official, Detroit is the largest US city is US history to file for chapter 9 Bankruptcy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/03/detroit-bankruptcy-decision-ruling-rhodes_n_4376775.html

I don't see things getting better either…even if you shit canned the UA4 tomorrow.

9. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

You people probably won't believe what I am about to say. I can barely believe it myself. But a couple of traffic lights that were near my home have been fixed(!).

I don't even know how it happened. I contacted a couple of local news stations, that will help you out for free (typically, only if they make it into a story). They never replied, so it may have not been them. Then I sent an email to a local council member. I guess that may have been what did it (although oddly, I didn't get a reply from her either).

Seriously though, Detroit is not as bad as some people think or say. Actually, it has a lot of potential. For one thing, it has large swathes of empty lots, where slums and other houses used to be. You know, maybe this is just a pipe dream. But if some upper middle class, or even rich person, wanted, they could really built whatever they wanted on these large, sprawling vacant lots. From what I hear, there are already some yuppies (do we still use that term?) moving in downtown and midtown. That would certainly bring back a nice tax base for Detroit.

Just my hope for the future.:)

10. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

They dont have enough money to replace the lightbulb...

large swaths of empty lots IS because its a slum. You don't find that shit in a nice area, it's like that cuz there's no demand for business there. People with money don't wanna invest in that area, and gentrifying downtown won't help as much as you think. They need not neglect the other neighborhoods as well or else, well you should know. You'll have large parts of the city with little to no higher income housing with no buffer zones. You'll have many really shitty neighborhoods back to back and the city will seem a lot smaller than it really is cuz those neighborhoods probably wouldn't have anything to offer to someone who doesn't live in that particular neighborhood.

Not trying to talk bad about Detroit or anything, Baltimore is kinda like that to an extent but I don't think as bad as Detroit. Not really sure why this happens to some cities, well I think I know a few reasons I'm just not sure why certain cities get big and then once they get to a certain size they start losing population until they're down to half what they had. Happens to me in Sim City all the time tho.