tomatoes?

Discussion in 'LED Growing' started by RiffRaff, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RiffRaff

RiffRaff Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

What about using these lights for growing tomatoes (I know for sure I'd get caught if I was growing anything else lol)? What would one need, say for one plant?

2. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

Tomatoes need way more light than a grow light can give them.
    If you have a greenhouse, grow lights would supplement the weak winter light and your tomatoes would grow, but you would need to keep temperatures above 70 for them to grow and bear fruit.
    Ornamental house plants would thrive with grow light, often being plants native to a shady jungle floor.

I don't recommend growing anything that could get you in trouble. That's your decision, of course.

3. alexis12345

alexis12345 Guest

Yeah...be legit.
    Also, you can grow tomatoes with some LED grow lights, but besides those you'll also need some more natural light. It works great for me.

4. harris2012

harris2012 Member

tried growing tomatoes in my attic, then it snowed and my roof was the only one with no snow on it. Lucky I wasn't growing fish bait or something :)

5. susancollins

susancollins Guest

yeah good idea..:)

6. Trista

Trista Guest

Well, I don’t think a led grow light is a must. Sometimes, fluorescent one can also meet its requirement.

7. helenjiang

helenjiang Guest

If the tomotoes need to grow for indoors or the owener must need one light,I think the led light is the best choice.

8. cactusmann

cactusmann Member

I think the new t5 's fluorescent lights are much better then leds. I haven't seen them all but most of those leds are a waste of money.Even though their is a so called science behind how they work,most of then don't work well.T5s aren't the best either but they can grow plants well and better then most leds using only a small percent of what a ordinary hid light would burn in electricity and they can even flower plants not great but fairly well for the money and light bulbs and fixtures cost alot less then any led on the market right now.

9. Trista

Trista Guest

hey, have you chosen the right grow light?

10. helenjiang

helenjiang Guest

As I have known,the T5 is just like the ordinary HPS light. I don't know how you have done the test which it is grow the plants,maybe it is the plants itself characters. The real led grow light has its personal advance. Like the present hipper said, have you chosen the right led grow light?

11. cactusmann

cactusmann Member

I have never seen any real good led lights.I do know there is alot of companies making different ones and all the ones I have seen were really over priced and did not do a great job for the higher price that was paid for the light.I haven't seen any that have good flowering potential either.I am not saying that they are all bad.i am just saying for what is out there ,there hasn't been any that i have seen that beat the other types of lights already out there.I haven't seen all of them so i can't say they are all bad but alot of them are not as good as they promise.By the way the t5,s are not like ordinary hps light.It burns alot less in electricity and give almost no heat.You can touch one after it has been on for hours.I would not try that with an Hps light.It could blow up in your face.I think the t5's are the best for the price and the longevity of the bulbs.You don't need as much ventilation with t5s as the heat don't build up.If you know good manufacturers of led lights,please post them ,for people there know what to buy and keep away from all the other overpriced ones that are not as good

12. Hemptress101

Hemptress101 Guest

For one plant a 250w or 400w light should be sufficient enough. LED will not give you the spectrum or lumen output that you need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.