tomato soup from scratch

Discussion in 'Soups' started by cerridwen, Oct 14, 2004.

1. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

Get a large pan and heat up a couple tablespoons of vegetable or olive oil.

In a blender or food processor, fill it once with tomatoes and puree, then add in the pan.

Second blender full: half tomatoes, 3 cloves of garlic, half an onion, a red pepper. Puree and add to the pot.

Third blender full: half tomatoes, another red pepper, orange pepper, yellow pepper, and a cup of basil and a cup of parsley. Puree and add to the pot.

Fourth blender full: fill as many tomatoes as possible and puree, and add to the pot. Let boil for 25 minutes, stir often to keep it from burning. Add a bit of salt and pepper to taste.

If you want it spicy, puree a jalapeno pepper in the mix.

2. Natural_mystic19

Natural_mystic19 Member

Hmm.. when i make it, i cut about 24 tomatoes in half and put them on a baking sheet. And then i chop some garlic and sprinkle it over the tomatoes and salt n pepper them and roast them till they get soft and then i blend them and add that to a pot and i put some spinach leaves in it too and when its done i drizzle a lil olive oil on top and i toast up some bread with mozzarella cheese on top and dip it in the soup... godamn im drooling.

3. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

that sounds good too :)

4. Atom bomb therapy

Atom bomb therapy Member

your drooling...no, im drooling. come over and make me some? Yay, see you soon. haha

5. Silly Angel

Silly Angel Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

A good homemade tomato soup is my absolute favorite. I just bought a new food processor and I'm breaking it in this week with some tomato soup. My roommate thinks it's the devil so he won't steal it either! What I like to do with a lot of creamy soups is put the soup in individual oven-proof bowls. Then take some good crusty bread (make sure it's soft and chewy on the inside!) and place a lightly buttered slice on top of the soup and sprinkle the top with mozzerella or parmesan or whatever cheese you like! Broil it on low for a few minutes. Man it's good. You can eat right through the bread. MMM!

6. Olympic-Bullshitter

Olympic-Bullshitter Banned

Add 2 teaspoons garam masala or 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg to your favorite tomato soup and folks think there eating pumpkin soup!

7. Olympic-Bullshitter

Olympic-Bullshitter Banned

Make as for cream of tomato soup substituting 1 lb. of pumpkin and 1 tomato for the 2 cups of fresh tomatoes. I make fresh bread, cut off one end and remove the center, this becomes my bowl.