Titicut Follies

Discussion in 'Documentaries' started by BeckValentine, Apr 17, 2020.

1. BeckValentine

BeckValentine Members

I'm not sure what I can say about this documentary about the inmates at Bridgewater state hospital for the criminally insane. It's very difficult to watch and quite frankly extremely disturbing. There was very little known about mental health up until recently and we are still learning. I suffer from several mental health issues and have always been interested in abnormal psychology. There are many other films about the subject but Titicut Follies does leave you with an impression and a bad taste in your mouth. Btw the film was screened for a class I was taking. Just a word of warning. If you do decide to explore then you may have nightmares for a while. I will say this despite the unpleasantness it is an important history of mental health and how patients were treated up until recent times

2. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I grew up in Massachusetts and saw this movie in high school, it was very disturbing.

3. wrat

wrat Member

I find the concept utterly fascinating and have the movie but cant get through it its boring

4. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Saw it years ago. As an observer of the human condition, I doubt that the practice of caring for the mentally ill has progressed as much as one would like to believe. Reagan had a great idea though--throw the mentally ill out on the streets and let them fend for themselves. I remember how that worked.