tips for a difficult room?

Discussion in 'Home Decor and Household Tips' started by sissi116, Jun 23, 2006.

1. sissi116

sissi116 Member

Sadly, I don't have any pictures at the moment, but I'm moving into a sorority house and need some decorating ideas. The room has lots of windows with indoor shutters, all painted white. The room also has 4 doors - one is blocked off, two are for use, and one leads to the outside (and I believe is permanently locked). All of the doors are also white.
    The walls are a mint green color that reminds me of a hospital[​IMG]. I have to check with the landlord with any paint color I choose, and I was thinking a neautral lighter brown would be nice. I was thinking the brown with lots of blue accents would work, especially blue and brown bedding and blue flowing curtains.

What should I do to cover the blocked door, besides putting my bookshelf in front of it?

Do you think these ideas would work? It's not exactly a large room, but it's big enough for me [​IMG] Space saving ideas are also appreciated!

2. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

i think blocked doors are probably really bad for feng shui, so you might want to put a mirror on it somewhere. i've seen doors covered with floor to ceiling tapestries that looked great~turns it into a focus instead of a weird eyesore.

3. Brkonthru2daothersid

Brkonthru2daothersid Member

GREAT idea nihm exactly what I was thinking.........

4. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I've seen faux french doors made with this remodel oddity of blocked doors.
    paint a view and lay the wood strips in a window pattern. Some have used curtains, some have not.

5. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

hm... you can always find a garage sale mirror and put a colourful decorative frame around it to add a little colour! Also, when I was living in rez I had decorated my bedposts with artificial flowered vines, which everyone seemed to love.... I couldn't paint my very white walls so this added a nice touch!

6. campfirejam

campfirejam Something-Something

:) i would go with a sienna orange or a rocky road brown, if you can't paint, you could always hang up large tapestrys.

dannayelli