Timothy Leary

Discussion in 'Beat and Hippie Books' started by Forget me not, May 25, 2007.

1. Forget me not

Forget me not Member

Can anyone recommend anything by Timothy Leary? People say I'm a little young for his stuff but I disagree. I want to learn more about the hippie cultre which I am so keen to become a part of.
    Peace and love to all.

2. Forget me not

Forget me not Member

Nothing by Timothy Leary at all? How strange.
    Peace and love
    xxx

3. wandrnshaman

wandrnshaman Member

I would start with 'Start Your own Religion', It's the best book to introduce someone to his philosophy, imo. It may help one understand his whole idea of living from the heart. Not as deep as 'Your Brain Is God' or profound as Tibetan Book of the Dead' but those are my 3 favorites by Dr Leary.

You will enjoy him, I'm sure. He really gets you thinking!

peace

4. Forget me not

Forget me not Member

Thankyou so much! I'll do just that and I really look forward to reading about the perfect way to live which I imagine is what Timothy Leary portrays in his books.
    Peace and love wished to you and all your kind.

5. dollydagger

dollydagger Needle to the Groove

I recommend reading the Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe.......if you want to learn more about hippie culture, this is where it all began. Im not a big fan of Leary......i hate to say this, but maybe you are a bit young to read him..his early stuff, yeah, but later on, he just kept getting weirder and more far-fetched..but you will really like Tom Wolfe's book......go check it out at your library

6. Forget me not

Forget me not Member

Thanks. I'll try some Tom Wolfe too.
    Peace and love.

7. Ghost of ruins

Ghost of ruins Member

I'd recommend to read the Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test first. There is more about the whole hippie culture in general and you get to know some people with much influence on hippie culture... and there is a chapter about Leary, too.
    By the way... I'm not so much a fan of Leary and not so much of Ken Kesey, too. They were very important to the hippie movement but their way isn't the only way to get rid of social programming. And sometimes Leary told his things as he had eaten the truth with a spoon ;)
    (I fear there are many grammar mistakes in this text..[​IMG])

8. dollydagger

dollydagger Needle to the Groove

umm....yes. But what I liked about Kesey is that he didnt SET OUT to be a leader......it just was assumed by the Pranksters that Kesey was the head of the "operation". If I had to choose, Kesey's method (or un-method) would have been up my alley. I think Kesey had a better vision of what was capable on LSD (and he recognized the downfall of it, too)...with the induvidual's trip and all. Leary took more of a "roadman" status....to an extent. Kesey knew that there was only so much one could learn on acid, and Leary was too optimistic in the sense that he felt that that there was never too much. I gues it all comes down to which "school" would you fit in with?"

btw....that chapter when they all met was great! one of my favorite parts of the book.

ps.......you grammar was just fine !

9. plastic bagism

plastic bagism Member

Your Brain is God by Leary is a nice way to start out. I don't think you're too young, but you might not digest it all just yet.

Have fun.

10. pheonix

pheonix Member

i would read "the politics of ecstasy". i read it when i was about your age. it is the only book by leary that i have read, and i though it was pretty good.

11. shobs

shobs Member

if u are into novels and understanding symbolism and what-not u might wanna check out one flew over the cuckoo's nest by ken kesey. it is my all time favorite book and it symbolically depicts wat the hippies were standing for: the right to be free and be yourself. it is an amazing and touching story, i was inspired to experiment with drugs after reading it

12. Forget me not

Forget me not Member

^Cool! I've just finished reading the electric kool aid acid test which is all about Ken Kesey. So I actually think one flew over the cuckoos nest would be perfect!
    Peace and love brothers and sisters!
    xxx