Times are a changin

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by FireQuint, May 18, 2004.

1. FireQuint

FireQuint Member

Oh no you don't

2. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

yeah, i can relate. i am basically the same. why i have been trying to change some things but its difficult to change all at once.

3. cutelildeadbear

cutelildeadbear Hip Forums Gym Rat

Don't try to change all at once. Take it one day at a time. And don't give up. If you don't do as well as you want to or think you should, just start again the next day. Just remember your goal is to be healthier and live longer.

My parents were the worst as far as instilling good eating habits. I ended up with some really bad eating disorders and by the time I was 18 I weighed over 350lbs. After living on my own, and making my own meals, doing my own shopping and trying to entertain myself on a budget, I started losing weight. See I just started walking every day and eating a lot more fruits and veggies. I cut out all of the fast food and the alcohol (and trust me I'm a lush!). It was a little hard at first, but I remained focused and after hearing everyone tell me how great I look and after feeling so much more energized and the endorphines from exercising, well I became hooked on a healthy lifestyle. I'm now on my way to becoming a personal trainer! And this coming from someone who hadn't ever had vegetables until I lived on my own.

4. FireQuint

FireQuint Member

Oh no you don't

5. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

you can try that, mike. but the chances are you'll fail that way and then feel bad and say "fuck it".... just remember if you fail at something once (or more then that)- to just try again.... that's what counts.

6. cutelildeadbear

cutelildeadbear Hip Forums Gym Rat

Fire, punishing yourself is not the answer to changing your lifestyle. It won't work out regardless of how much you want it. You might want it today, but if you are not realistic about your goals you won't be able to achieve them. You need to start small. Chaning your unhealthy habits into good habits over time. It takes 90 days to form a new habit, so just figure out three very specific things that you want to change and try your best to do that for 90 days. Then pick three new things. For example, decide to cut back on alcohol, either set a number of drinks you want to have per day or choose one or two days that you want to drink. Decide to try a new fruit or vegetable each week that you have never had before, or make an effort to cut out all fast food, take a cooking class to learn how to compensate. And decide to walk for 15 or 20 minutes each day, or longer if you want. Soon these habits will be like second nature. Then you can build from them and change other things.

7. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

i agree with cutelildeadbear. It will be easier if you map out a plan. List all the things you need to get rid of in your life (drinking, smoking, junk food, etc) and all the things you want to add in. Set realistic goals. if you try all at once, you might get discouraged and give up a lot easier. If you take it slowly, your body will have time to adjust.

8. Cornball1

Cornball1 Member

For excerise I recomend trying some martial arts. It will get you into great shape and really make you appriciate a pacifist life style(if you get a good sensei).

9. FireQuint

FireQuint Member

Oh no you don't

10. sweatininthesouth

sweatininthesouth Member

Fire, good luck to you in reversing years of abuse on your body....it may seem hard at first, but it will be worth it if you stick with a plan for yourself and embrace a healthy lifestyle.

I've always been a health nut...started exercising in my early 20's, I've always been active and eaten healthy and now in my late 40's, my doc says I'm one of his healthiest patients. But I started getting severe headaches and dizzy spells a few years ago, so severe that I couldn't function -- extreme vertigo and a condition called "occular migraine." The occular migraine totally freaked me out last month because I lost all my peripheral vision, couldn't see, and it made me really nauseated for days....

Anyway, not to ramble, I bought the book "South Beach Diet" and read about the amount of sugar, processed foods, refined flour, etc. that we all pump into our bodies and I went on the diet. I feel better now than I have in YEARS....started losing some pounds too that I had packed on after my last baby (at age 40). I haven't had any headaches or dizzy spells, except when I occasionally eat a piece of cake or something I start buzzing from all the sugar and then get a headache.

The diet is really a total lifestyle change, cutting out processed sugars and flours, but allowing whole grains and natural sugars, as in fruit.

I would highly recommend taking a look at this diet for yourself, mainly because it isn't a quick fix, weight loss plan, it is a healthy lifestyle plan that can be adopted by anyone........please check it out.....good luck!