time

Discussion in 'Mind Games' started by red_eye, May 16, 2007.

1. red_eye

red_eye Member

why do we only live for the future does anyone really apresheat the time they have or only the time that is yet to come?

2. Rayan

Rayan Member

Everyone should live in the future. By doing so they consistently have a goal in life and they are motivated to achieve that goal. Achievement is the root cause of all happiness.

By living in the future, one remains happy whilst continues to develop as a person, financially, socially and in knowledge.

Not being funny, but do you really think people who actually get to 'live their dream' got there just by appreciating the present?

3. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

I only appreciate my past... fuck the present and future.... meh, fuck the past too

4. snakeyes

snakeyes Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

bollocks. All we have is the present. future and past do not exist other than as ideas. Desire is the root cause of all pain. Become content to just 'be'. Happiness is inherent in existance. There are more people who didn't get to live their dream than those who did and then life just sucks.

5. airotciv

airotciv Slowly Going Sane

[​IMG] Excellent post snakeyeyes.

6. sanja_serbia

sanja_serbia Senior Member

There has to be equal measure of the past, present and future in your life...You can't live entirely in past, but past made you what you are today....If you live just in present, you might not have the future because of your tendency to live your whole life in a moment, but if you think of the future too much, you'll miss the present....

7. PurpleGel

PurpleGel Senior Member

absolutely. appreciating and living in the present does not in any way suggest a negligence of the future or of setting goals and planning life directions.

"living" in the future, however, implies a failure to recognise or appreciate the present moment--the now. this is what the majority of people in the world do on a daily basis. many of them are successful--many are not.

i mean, how can you genuinely "live your dream" if the only thing you do is think in terms of the future?

in my opinion, the most successful people in any society are the ones who have been blessed with the ability--the capacity--to take note of, and bring to conscious attention and awareness, the present moment, which, in the end, is the only thing we truly have.

8. TattoedAquarian

TattoedAquarian Senior Member

Because people have seen what has happened throughout history when individuals and civilizations have not been prepared.

I try to take advantage of the day most days though. But i would like to be around and living for a lot of them, so i think a prepare for things as they come as well.

It's a balance. Like everything else.

Only looking at the Futre - Good chance of disaster.

Onlu lokking at the Present - Good chance of disaster.

Same for Present.

Balance the 3 - Better chance of avoiding Disaster.

9. legend 1967

legend 1967 Member

Why volunteer to be a prisoner of your past,
    bringing it into the present?
    The present then becoming a future present,
    being limited by your past. :stunned:

10. floydianslip6

floydianslip6 Senior Member

This is of course assuming that the past and future exist at all. Metaphysics is awesome...

11. dezmondzpipe

dezmondzpipe Member

i tend to live in the past

12. Rayan

Rayan Member

Are you an Emo?

13. Rayan

Rayan Member

We only aspire toward a future so that we can further enjoy the 'present time of the future'

How long before you live for the moment but then exhaust your activities that exist in your present time? Then you'll be thinking bout the future.

Its human nature.

14. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

^good point

people who are really into living for the moment tend to end up pondering their future in rehab

15. xexon

xexon Destroyer Of Worlds

Time is illusional. It exists only in the mind as a mental concept. Outside of the physical realm, it does not exist at all.

The mind is a processing machine. It belongs to the physical realm. It weighs one thing against another to determine worth. It does this exceptionally well.

But, the mind also contains a few other things. The ego, which is your self identity. What you think of yourself. Your likes and dislikes. Everything you think you are. It is your user interface with the world.

It also has the power of creation, expressed mainly through the imagination. The dark side of this is most people lack the control of their creativity. They often manufacture things in their life without understanding how this will come back to bite them later.

Time appears as a reality because of how the mind operates. It has limited abilites. It cannot contain the concept of totality, so it must break it up into bite size pieces to deal with it.

This gives the appearance of flow. Time is passing. Because of your slow mental CPU.

The great meta-physical reality is: There is nothing but the here and now.

This instant. To live in the absolute moment is the goal of all spiritual seekers.

It's the "God" moment.

x

16. Rayan

Rayan Member

Is it me, or do some people on Hipforums get overly intricate in their responses to a pretty general question?

17. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

^more often than not

18. xexon

xexon Destroyer Of Worlds

Notice the title of this forum.

I didn't wander in here to give you a massage. :)

x