tie dying crisis

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by sandman, Aug 20, 2005.

1. sandman

sandman Member

when I tried to add colors to the cloth while it was bound up it ran all through out despite the elastics and most of it washed out in the sink... any suggestions?

2. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

3. inbloom

inbloom as the crow flies...

Why is this in the Music Forum?

4. Sarah JAY 420

Sarah JAY 420 Member

haha i think your in the wrong forum inbloom....

5. greengoddess

greengoddess Nature Freak!

6. inbloom

inbloom as the crow flies...

This was in the Music Forum earlier on today, Sarah Jay. ;)

7. sativasistah

sativasistah Member

What kind of dye are you using? If you are using Rit *I highly recommend not using Rit, but try some Procion dyes from Dharma Trading* If you were using a light color, or even a dark one....you can get some Procion dyes and bind it again, and then soak in soda ash and then dye with the new procion dyes *example: if you tried to dye it red, and it came out pink, choose a dark purple OR if you tried to dye it black and it came out grey...do it over with a dark blue...etc* You will get a cool effect out of the mistake. instead of the parts without dye being white, it will be the original color that you tried to dye it :)

8. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I moved this to FC from music, fyi.

White areas are created by pressure: usually from rubber bands or fake sinew in modern dyeing. THink how wax "seals" the fabric in batik.
    We use needle and thread, but we are crazy.
    http://www.hipgallery.com/photopost2/showphoto.php/photo/63969/cat/500/ppuser/666

Did you activate the dye? in Procion MX, usually that is a base chemical like soda ash (there is a thread around here called soda ash) kiddie craft dyes like RIT (not reccomended, highly, actively lobbied against, as they are likely to run, fade and generally destroy your effort) often use an acid, including salt.
    Also your dye density could be a factor. Mixing too light is pointless.
    Tells us what you did, and I KNOW we can get a couple fixes for you!