Tibet - a scream in the dark or a mystic fable?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by bird_migration, Mar 16, 2008.

1. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Anyway, instead of using that dumb title to write an essay I will just go to the core of things:

Boycot the 2008 Beijing Olympics and support Tibet in their struggle to become an independent nation.

[​IMG]

2. Beckner420

Beckner420 troll

Boycott from what though. No one here actually goes to the olympics im guessing, maybe we watch them on tv.

Not watching competitors from our countries strive for gold medals is not going to help Tibet out any.

3. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Even a single butterfly can create a storm on the other side of the world.

And if that does not convince you:
    Even the largest elephant can't survive without the smallest single celled organism.

4. Tree-Hugger

Tree-Hugger The Chainsaw

I'll kick my professor in the shins for Tibet.

I never watch the olympics anyways.

5. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Two thumbs up for you!

6. Makaveli_Reborn

Makaveli_Reborn No?

Yes it does.

When the Olympics hit an all time low in ratings, there WILL be many, many MASSIVE marketing reports and surveys trying to figure out what went wrong. If a million people say, "I didn't watch it because China is being a dick to Tibet and I refuse to support them in ANY manner" the cause will get more attention because it's affecting big business.

Once it gets more attention, knowledge on what is going on will increase.

Once people become more knowledgable about the issues at hand, more people will take further action and begin protesting and boycotting other Chinese services and products.

IF you can help start a movement that would drastically affect the financial independance of a nation, you CAN create change. Notice I didn't say INSPIRE...I said create.

Sitting on your couch watching the Olympics and saying, "Turning off my tv wont fix shit" is exactly why we have so many problems in the world.

7. Beckner420

Beckner420 troll

The whole theory is bullshit and unrealistic.

Look at Live earth, did it change one fucking thing, besides raise a bit of money that is probably already spent by now.

The only way to properly capture the attention of people who could resolve the conflict in Tibet would be for the large nations to not send athletes to the olympics.

8. AquaLight

AquaLight Senior Member

I don't know much of the history of Tibet, so i don't know if it has the right to be autonomous

9. Jimmy P

Jimmy P bastion of awesomeness

it was a sovereign nation until the chinese invaded. since then, the chinese have systematically eradicated Tibetan culture and thinned out their population, while immigrating chinese to Tibet. they are treated like shit by their invaders.

they are definitely entitled to be independent, but they have no means of accomplishing it. once you bring money into something, though, the important people start giving a shit, and things might change.

I'll gladly boycott the olympics. I never watch them anyway, but I'll make a conscious effort this time.

10. mamaKCita

mamaKCita fucking stupid.

it's gonna be hard for me to not watch the olympics. i love the olympics. but the olympics being in china totally kills the joys for me.

11. Makaveli_Reborn

Makaveli_Reborn No?

Bullshit and unrealistic? Normally this is where your stupidity would send me over the cliff, but I don't need that stress today.

However, all you offer is snide remarks and a suggestion, with no direction or explanation on how it would affect change. Your "theory" is far, far more unrealistic than mine. Mine requires that everyday people read a bit and shut their tv off. Your thought is that entire nations should withdraw from a competition that can help boost their countries appeal, morale, and overall visibility in the worlds eyes. You offer nothing as a means of making this happen, and probably have no idea what the next step in this "plan" would be.

I tip my hat to you sir. You'll do great things for this world of ours. I can just see it now. :wank:

12. AquaLight

AquaLight Senior Member

If you want to boycott china effectively, why not boycott its products instead of a sport event that has nothing to do with politics?

13. Beckner420

Beckner420 troll

I think your confused. I didnt say your plan of action was unrealistic, but the result its aiming for is in fact unrealistic, compared to mine. When has 'not turning on a tv' solved any conflict, expept maybe protesting TV scheduals. My plan works the same as the boycott of the 1984 olympics, where they chose to exclude them selves from the sports, and not just not tune in.

I ask you to prove me wrong. Get as many people as you can to not watch the olympics, and we'll see the Tibetans free once again.

Aqua, exactly.

14. Makaveli_Reborn

Makaveli_Reborn No?

Did you not read my post? I think that was mentioned in there. ;) I know i'm long winded though, so I forgive you.

It's ALL about attention and spreading knowledge of the problem. What you speak of Beckener NOBODY you or I know has the power of influencing. What bird and I have suggested you can directly influence on a personal level. You say we have no power affect this change, so we must hope the governments exercise their power in a manner that helps lead to resolve.

They wont.

Ahahahaha. When was the last time watching tv accomplished ANYTHING, ever?

Turning off the TV helps get people into action. Period. And since China stands to gain MUCHO DINERO through the televising of the Olympics from their COMMUNIST country, I'd say the financial hit this could cause is as great of a place to start as any, really. When NBC loses 13 million dollars because that's what they paid for rights to broadcast from China and nobody tuned in, they'll look into it. Marketing and case studies are some of the best ways to be heard and affect change because it tells big business why they're losing your money, and they REALLY want your money.

Dear God, I'm talking politics with highschool kids. I'm leaving this thread...

15. mamaKCita

you should, adam. we'll cuddle. i'll make popcorn and we can watch joe dirt. brandy's about to ride up on the horse and do that thing with her tongue....i'll pause if for you.

16. Jimmy P

playing the communist card, eh?

better dead than red. a good commie is a dead commie!
    [​IMG]

17. mamaKCita

one could mock you, jimmy p, for picking out only one portion of a statement with deeper implications, but i'm too good for that.

18. Jimmy P

well, I didn't want to get all political and serious. I'm too good for that. you might have noticed before that I already agree with his stance, I just thought it was funny that the communism thing was mentioned, and if that's what it takes, then I'm all for it. down with the commies, up with tibetans.

19. mamaKCita

being political in random thoughts is never serious. we're too good for that.

*snicker*

we'll see who can get "too good for that" inserted into a conversation/thread here in RT tonight and count it out to see who wins.

20. Makaveli_Reborn

Makaveli_Reborn No?

I knew..... Just KNEW I shouldn't open this thread back up even to read. I always fall into that same trap.....

At any rate nothing I've said today has implicated that I have a bias against communism. I actually prefer aspects of communism over our current political set up.

The reason I felt the need to point that out is not worth explaining, as it's apparent you have no stock in the discussion or anything of intellectual value to add, and that's why you chose to isolate a statement that holds validity in the discussion and call it bigotry. Their communism directly effects relations and negotiations between them and our national networks. Money and cencorship are two major parts of those negotiations.

Anything else?