thrifting!

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by telephone, Feb 10, 2009.

1. telephone

telephone weird

Thrift stores for the win!
    I went to goodwill today and got this really awesome blanket, a jimi hendrix experience cd, some bjork remix cd, and another cd that I can't remember what it was..all for 12 bucks. Then I went to another thrift store and everything happened to be HALF OFF today! I got two books and an awesome shirt for $1.60.
    I just got a bunch of money from tax returns, so I $13.60 on some junk is acceptable. :piggy:

2. Hilder

Hilder The Ganja Queen

Awesome. I love thrift stores. Ima hit mine up this week for housewares..

3. mamaKCita

mamaKCita fucking stupid.

thrift stores are a freaking thrill. but i'm really realy picky about what i bring home. i tend towards things that look masculine, bold, clean and durable.

4. Wiseman

Wiseman Senior Member

Wow, nice. What store was it?

The only local thrift stores we've got are goodwill and salvation army.

However, Goodwill always has some pretty awesome books. I always end up in there for 45 minutes checking out their new books. And we're a small town, so it always amazes me that there are actually people that read the same weird stuff that I do, and also that they get that many new books every week.

5. mamaKCita

if anyone is in SoCal, check out the habitat for humanity thrift stores. you can get the most freaking ridiculously awesome, beautiful stuff for a deal. i have chinese paper lanterns hanging in my living room from the movie "memoires of a geisha." some gorgeous wood block prints, random awesomeness.

6. spirit of the night

spirit of the night Senior Member

my mum always shops at charity shops, she knows the girls who work there :p

we get great stuff for great bargains! today i got 2 tops, a dvd and a scarf!

and its for charity! its the future!

wow i am excited about this! how strange!

blessings
    xxx

7. Wiseman

Wiseman Senior Member

Wait. Are they like the actual ones from the movie set?

8. jaredfelix

jaredfelix Namaste ॐ

the salvation army is another great place!
    i like buying old blazers and suits and stuff.

9. ToFunToDie

ToFunToDie Senior Member

Good job, I am proud of you.

10. mamaKCita

YES! fucking awesome stuff. the property managers/warehouse guys donate this stuff to HFH and they thrift a lot of it out and write it off. it's the way of hollywood, man.

11. telephone

telephone weird

Thanks.

12. bluesafire

bluesafire Senior Member

I shop at thrift stores alot. Find alot of good books there too.

13. Hilder

Hilder The Ganja Queen

Oh god, one of the ones I go to is mainly books. I spend like 3 hours browsing. I found a leather bound hardback aniis nin delta of venus... for 75 cents.

14. marysoul

marysoul Member

MAN YOU ARE SOOO LUCKY!All we have at the goodwill are on parenting/pregnancy or the geinuess book of world records 1984.

Note to self:learn how to spell guiness:)

15. Wiseman

Wiseman Senior Member

Is it Guiness? Yeah. I think that's right. Or we could both be retarded. Either one :p

Yeah. I don't know who in the town brings in cool books, but I want to meet them so I can adorn them with gifts of Frankincense and Murr.

Last time, I got Desolation Angels which is kinda a follow-up to On The Road, by Jack Kerouac. It was amazing :)

16. marysoul

marysoul Member

Man i need to read it

17. Wiseman

Wiseman Senior Member

Yeah. It's very cool. I've never read a book from an author with such a unique writing style. It takes some adjustment, but definitely worth it.

May I suggest checking out www.bookmooch.com

I'm actually currently in the process of reading 'Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenace'. If you haven't read it, get off your computer. Put on your shoes, and walk/drive to the nearest bookstore/library to get it. It's an amazing book :)

18. grimjivey

grimjivey Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

We've got some great thrift stores here in Denver. I've found all kinds of high end outdoor gear. I got a "golite" jacket like new for $3.95, when I got home i looked it up on the www and found out it's a $85 jacket. Woo Hoo! Its a kind of weird thrill.

19. marysoul

marysoul Member

It's fucking raining, i dont want to bike or walk in the rain at night.Oh and i dont wear shoes:)I'll check it out tomorrow:)

20. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned