three alarm spaghetti and pinto bean chili

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Recipes' started by scarlettchasingroses, Jan 26, 2005.

1. scarlettchasingroses

scarlettchasingroses strawberry tart

comes straight from the betty crocker cookbook....if you don't have it, get it, it's a GREAT cookbook....one of the essentials....

so...anyway, here's the recipe, i actually used two 14.5 oz. cans of tomatoes with chilies instead of the suggested two 10 oz. cans......and i added more chili powder and more spaghetti than suggested...it was really good and i can't wait to eat the leftovers.....

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 green bell pepper, chopped
    3 cups water
    1/2 cup taco sauce
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    2 cans (10 ounces each) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained (i used some yummy organic fire roasted tomatoes and green chilies)
    4 ounces uncooked spaghetti, broken into thirds
    1 can (15 to 16 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
    Sour cream, if desired
    Jalapeno peppers, if desired

Heat oil in 4-quart Dutch over over medium-heat. Cook onion and bell pepper in oil for 3 to five minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender. Stir in water, taco sauce, chili powder, salt, cinnamon and tomatoes. Heat to boling; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer uncovered for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in spaghetti and beans. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to medium. Cook uncovered 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until spaghetti is tender. Garnish each serving with sour cream and jalapeno peppers.