thread conditioning?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by skyjewelz, Jun 21, 2006.

1. skyjewelz

skyjewelz Member

I bought some beeswax to use as thread conditioning for my hemp jewellery, but I don't know how to use it. Do I have to melt it first or is there another way?

2. tree

tree Member

Hey!
    i've never heard of using beeswax with hemp. i use it for conditioning beading thread, like Nymo or other nylon threads. You just cut the thread to the desired length and pull the thread across the wax a couple times. No need for melting, the friction created by pulling the thread across will soften enough to coat the thread. i really don't think you use it with hemp. Just my 2 cents.
    Good luck!
    ~tree

3. organic.psychonaut

organic.psychonaut Member

what is the point of conditioning hemp? i've never even heard of this before.

4. skyjewelz

skyjewelz Member

Thanks for the info. I must have gotten some wrong info, I guess i'll use the beeswax I have to make some candles.

5. AllWrappedUp!

AllWrappedUp! Member

The hemp i bought is pre-treated, is it possible to dye this? or should i get some untreated stuff, dye it, then treat it?

6. suwanneeredhead

suwanneeredhead Member

WAIT! I have heard of conditioning hemp with beeswax, it is done! Tree's right, the friction created from pulling it across will melt a small amount onto the strands. It is useful in that it can really help beads to slide, and it keeps the little strands from fraying on the sides, making the cord look fuzzy. If you have especially "fuzzy" hemp, it's a great way to get it to behave and help your beads slide.

7. skyjewelz

skyjewelz Member

Great, I will try that. Is there any way to apply it to necklaces already made?

8. suwanneeredhead

suwanneeredhead Member

Yes, I believe it is possible... you just have to be careful about it not clumping up in the knots. Pull it across (watch the beading, keep it out of the beading), then work it in with your fingers. It might not work nearly as well as doing it beforehand, though.

9. skyjewelz

skyjewelz Member

Thanks, I am going to try that. The hemp I just bought from hemp traders is great and probably won't need it but I bought a bunch from e-bay that really could use it and i've already made a dozen necklaces with it.

10. suwanneeredhead

suwanneeredhead Member

Yeah, exactly... I was just thinkin' about that, I bought a couple skeins from Ebay and they are bad, probably not even hemp. Needs waxed, bad. Too late, I've already run mostly through them. I'd rather get the good stuff to start with.

11. Yakima

Yakima Member

I have tried dying hemp. It didn't turn out good. First, the colour didn't look that bright and the cord soaked so much water it sort of grew... got quite thick. I don't think it's impossible to dye but it's really hard getting the colours right.

12. Madseamstress

Madseamstress Member