Thoughts on the university shooting...

Discussion in 'People' started by ecocide, Apr 20, 2007.

1. ecocide

ecocide Member

"The world which we have created forces people to detatch from their communities to join a soulless pursuit of wealth and status which affords them little lifestyle security and little time left to spend with their family & friends. As a consequence we periodically produce alienated young individuals who, out of sheer frustration with the neurosis of modern life, lash out in a frenzy of extreme violence."

"Some commentators have tried to pass the actions of the killer off as an anamoly; the exceptional product of a mentally deranged young man. We however say that our current society is producing people that are psychologically disturbed and that our rising rates of teenage suicide, depression and drug use attest that the dissatisfaction that led Cho Seun Hoi to do what he did is not an isolated phenomena."

Source

Sounds about right to me.

2. Axis: Bold As Love

Axis: Bold As Love Member

Fucked up, but hopefully it will serve as a wake up call for America; times have changed, and the right to bear arms should be scrapped altogether.

3. wildflower16

wildflower16 Member

the right to bear arms is the only right i believe is simply unneccesary.
    cho sueng hui was mentally ill and we should be able to forgive him for what he did.
    while his illness does not excuse his actions, forgiving him is all we can do rather than wishing him burning in hell for eternity and other nasty, horrendous comments.

i belive God allowed this incident to occur to show others how their ruthless jokes, which may seem meaningless to them, distort others' self image and subdue them into a deep/er depression. and to show the government that the right to bear arms is utterly ridiculous, but if they must, then make background checks more profound, including mental history into the process. after all, that should be their main concern rather than some guy who was on probation for littering or drunk driving.

4. plastic bagism

plastic bagism Member

Yes, I am sure that God is very concerned with the government performing background checks.

5. spooner

spooner is done.

Except that random killings, murders, etc. occured more frequently before we turned into mindless status-chasing drones.

The logical conclusion is that yuppieness saves lives by preventing potential "V-Techs"

6. MouthfullOfCavities

MouthfullOfCavities Member

its pretty fucked man, i was watching a big story on it on the news tonight...i totaly agree with the idea of firearm possesion being totally scraped as well..its not the civil war era america, wake up!

7. dd3stp233

dd3stp233 -=--=--=-

Gun laws don't have much to do with it. School shootings have occurred in other countries that have stricter gun control laws then the U.S. and it didn't do anything to stop it. Nor is it soley a U.S. problem. Examples:

Dunblane massacre , Scotland, March 13, 1996
    Sanaa massacre - Sanaa, Yemen; March 30, 1997
    W. R. Myers High School shooting - Taber, Alberta, Canada; April 28, 1999
    Monash University shooting - Melbourne, Australia; October 21, 2002

also in

Germany, March 2000: A 16-year-old pupil at a private boarding school in the Bavarian town of Branneburg, shot a 57-year-old teacher, who later died from injuries. The teenager - who also shot himself - was facing expulsion from school after failing a cannabis test.

Germany, February 2002: A former pupil killed his headmaster and set off pipe bombs in the technical school he had recently been expelled from in Freising near Munich. The man also shot dead his boss and a foreman at the company he worked for before turning the gun on himself. Another teacher was shot in the face, but survived.

Germany, April 2002: Seventeen people killed after a gunman - a former pupil - opens fire in a school in Erfurt, eastern Germany. He then turned the gun on himself.

Dec. 7, 1999 - Veghel, Netherlands - One teacher and three students wounded by a 17-year-old student

Jan. 18, 2001 -Jan, Sweden - One student killed by two boys, ages 17 and 19.

April 29, 2002 - Vlasenica, Bosnia-Herzegovina - One teacher killed, one wounded by Dragoslav Petkovic, 17, who then killed himself.

Sept. 28, 2004 - Carmen de Patagones, Argentina - Three students killed and 6 wounded by a 15-year-old Argentininan student in a town 620 miles south of Buenos Aires.

While not a school shooting but a school massacre, check out the Bath School Massacre. http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~bauerle/disaster.htm
    No guns involved, but yet the highest amount of deaths.

8. Grim

Grim Wandering Wonderer

I think it showed how knowingly ignorant the majority of our country is.
    A couple dozen American kids bite it? HOLY HELL STOP THE UNIVERSE FOR A WEEK.

That many kids die in Darfur every few hours? Tough titties.
    That many kids die in Tibet every couple days? Too bad!
    That many Iraq kids are shot by US troops every day? Feeling bad for them would mean you didn't support our troops!

9. Share the Warmth

Share the Warmth Member

The killings were casualties of our ignorant, materialistic society. The guy could not connect with anyone through conventional methods, and so he did it with bullets.

I disagree with those who say "let's focus on the victims, not the killer". We need to focus on the relationship between killer and victim to understand what happened.

I disagree about losing our right to bear arms. I don't think a law like that can be enforced, nor should it. The feelings of alienation that lead to violence need to be addressed, not the firearm factor itself.

10. Share the Warmth

Share the Warmth Member

Hey, I understand where your coming from with that logic BUT...

I think a loss of life through violence is a travesty regardless of the numbers involved. Aside from that, I think the issue deserves the coverage it's getting if it can illuminate the problem in a way that can reach the shielded American masses.

That it happened here in as commonplace (and universally regarded as safe) of a setting as an institution of learning, is helping to allow this nation further realize what an issue violence is. For most people, learning about overseas violence will not have the same impact as learning about something closer to home.

11. Share the Warmth

Share the Warmth Member

Thank you for the link. The sentiments expressed in this article match my own.