Thoughts On Musical Energy?

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Terrapin2190, May 4, 2015.

1. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

As an oldie,or one who is approaching old age, I think it's probably right that taste in music changes as one gets older. I think there are probably several reasons for this.

Maybe there are neurological factors at play, but there are also other reasons, at least in my case.

The energy of youth is different from that of maturity or old age. The music one chooses to probably reflects that. For example, boy meets girl type stuff becomes a bit irrelevant if sex is no longer a high priority. Ditto for angst ridden music, or music that is in some way an expression of the ego of the performer(s).

There's also the 'heard it all before' syndrome. A lot of rock music simply serves to remind me of the past, and I find it pretty irrelevant in my present life.
    That's maybe why I buck the trend, and prefer electronic music these days to rock. I still listen to occasional tracks, but generally I find if quite dissatisfying and dare I say it even crude. I doubt I could sit through very much of it in any kind of enhanced state of consciousness.

About the only kind of music I have always listened to, and still enjoy from time to time is classical. I tend to think of the best ambient electronica as being more akin to that than to rock or any other idiom.

1 person likes this.
  2. notrick

notrick Members

All music is energy, but not all energy is music.

3. notrick

notrick Members

I had a talk with a former band mate about this today. Both of us work in recording therefor don't always have the choice what to record. I recently recorded and mixed/masterd a "Death Metal Band". Thank god they were happy with the 3rd take--it was exhausting to listen to. The progretion didn't match the bassline or lead--and drums were out of tune.

They were nice guys, and I got paid but byond that--they were here on vacation from Norway. For a small island we have lots of recording studios,, but I'm the only one who ever lived in Norway. I spoke Norwegian once 35 years ago--my Russian is better--but non-of that seemed to matter.

They sold 10,000 CD's in one week and orderded anouther 500,000. I thought this was ambitious but they said if the 500,000 sell as fast as the first 10,000 they'ed easily sell over 5,000,000 in southern Norway alone. I'll probably make more on this than any recording project I've done since I started on my own 7 yrs ago--I'd say it was worth it.

4. notrick

notrick Members

music has energy

5. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

" "

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

There has always been an Energy / Power in Music
    From the earliest of prehistory - rhythm, beat and the clarion of calling has been used for Stimulation, Inspiration, Solace and Comfort
    However one views it, Music has been an Internationally, Worldwide and Universally Force that cannot be bettered

papa-bear likes this.
  7. YungSAVi

YungSAVi Rapper

idk if you're into rap, but i have some songs that would get you jumping about :)

8. papa-bear

papa-bear Members

I saw a documentary that said Stonehenge was built like a sound reverberation structure that would bounce the sound of their music around and create a trancelike state with its energy.
    I fully believe music has energy. It affects people, livings things, and emotions.

I still to this day get goose bumps on certain song- that tingling in the brain.

When I need to focus on thought, I listen to classical, when I need twas focus on mundane office work, i blast old school metal, I have a certain group of music for every energy I need- it always works!

WOLF ANGEL likes this.
  9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Come to a brutal death metal gig with me at the basement surrounded in brickwork. Come for the energy, leave with tinnitus.

papa-bear likes this.
  10. Jude96

Jude96 Members

I get what you’re saying as a guitar player (once in a while singer) who used to perform a lot... but lately I’ve been singing the song I’m Yours by Jason Mraz to help put my kids to sleep and they just melt into me and zonk our... that’s my vibe now lol mellow/low key (snooze fest for 4 month olds)

11. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Interesting... I have that same feeling as the OP, but I think that certain elements in music just have a good vibe, and when you incorporate that, say with a drum break or a familiar set of chords, you can get a reaction out of the crowd. I think it's more of a functional element of performance than any kind of mystic energy, but I fully get what the OP is saying. Or maybe I just think I get it and I'm lost. Idk. either way I love music.

As for different genres offering a different set of dynamics I agree! I think that way in terms of what is played on a dance floor. Certain things typically generate a reaction.

12. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I am learning to play bass guitar and one thing I have noticed is that if I'm feeling upset or anxious and start practising, all the emotional difficulty goes away. I haven't found anything else that has such an immediate and real effect on my mental state. Part of it is concentrating on something, but I think it's also to do with it being music because concentrating on other things does not have the same calming influence.

guerillabedlam and Ged like this.
  13. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I'm thinking of putting a practice band together with people who are as unambitious as myself. Shame you don't live closer. Girl bass players are cool.

14. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

That sounds fun. A shame indeed. You should definitely do that idea though!

15. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Yeah. I just need some functional hands. Not mine. Mine function well. I just don't want star-crossed breadheads.

16. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

That's Awesome! I know what you mean about playing music having that calming effect. It can feel transcendent at times.

Are there any songs you"ve learned thus far? Any genres in particular you're going to play?

17. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I haven't got any particular goal, other than I'd like to be able to just jam with other musicians. It's a type of connecting that I see and feel I want to experience.
    There's a guy down the road who has been showing me some stuff, he's been suggesting what I do, which is currently "Wishing Well" by Free. He thought, and I think he's right, that it's a very satisfying one to learn because it isn't too difficult but it's not boring either.

18. soulcompromise

I want to learn to play guitar like in "Under the Bridge"... I should go take a lesson about it! But that would cost like $30. Maybe there's a youtube... :D

19. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I have a RHCP guitar tab book here somewhere. I could maybe take pics of "Under the Bridge" and convert it to a PDF or something if you wanted.

20. soulcompromise

I'm actually watching a youtube video for it right now... lol. Thank you though.