Thought is independent of time

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by tastyweat, Feb 8, 2013.

1. tastyweat

tastyweat Member

Thought is independent of time

Think about it :sunny:

2. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Thought takes time, think about it.
    Conscious & awareness levels can affect the perception of time passage but time is always required.

3. tastyweat

tastyweat Member

It takes time to communicate/transcode thought... thought happens in an instant and is then seemingly translated.

4. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

is this a proven fact?

5. tastyweat

tastyweat Member

Lol... this sub-forum is "random thoughts"... not "proven scientific weirdness"

The brain is a quantum computer... quantum objects can be independent of time until they are observed.

6. CherokeeMist

CherokeeMist Senior Member

what you're talking about, then, isn't a thought

a thought is a thought once it's observed... that's what makes it a thought

7. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

All thoughts have a beginning, a middle, and an end.

(ms is milliseconds.)

8. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

One quantum bit does not make a thought. It takes billions, accessed and processed from various parts of the brain. Light speed is not instant, it is a measure of time. So is the speed of electrical pulses across neural axons. The more complex the thought the more connections are required and therefore more time required. Even reflex actions take time and those are much simpler than thoughts.

9. tastyweat

tastyweat Member

Of course one bit does not make a thought... a brain has billions/trillions of them.

Quantum particles are independent of time and do not communicate at the speed of light.

A simple observer effect experiment can demonstrate how it works... the electron slit experiment. One alternate explanation for this occurrence is that the interaction caused by the observer can travel back through our linear perception of time and interact with the particles as they were emitted.

I'm wondering if some thought could happen in a higher state... it's communication that is restricted to the limits of time through the processing of electrical impulses etc...

Just watched Dirty Pictures... Dr Shulgin has experienced something very similar to what I'm referring to - where you can seemingly stop time or at the very least slow it down a very large amount and have many thoughts in a ridiculously short period of time.

My last experience had something very similar occur - where I was heading towards my death and as it got closer to that point... time was elongating... each second getting longer and longer and longer.

I want to explain how you can seemingly experience so much in an instant when under the influence of psychedelics. You can experience a lifetime in less than the time it takes to blink.

With the information that can be shared within such a short period of time, it seems improbable for all those many processes to have occurred to have created that delusion.

I'm looking for new ideas here... not just to be debunked as if we are already masters of knowledge. Our existing knowledge is still extremely simplistic.

10. tastyweat

tastyweat Member

Only when you associate them to time.

11. tastyweat

tastyweat Member

If it's linked to time then, what is it when it's only partially formed...

What is half a thought?

How can you differentiate?

Is there a need to?

:p

12. kokujin

kokujin Senior Member

I like turtles.

13. tastyweat

tastyweat Member

Because they can hide from scary ideas? :biker:

14. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y"]Zombie Kid Likes Turtles - YouTube

15. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I would amend this to say that consciousness is independent of time. But thought, by its very nature, requires time.

So you can be conscious of something, but then when you think about being conscious of that thing, it takes time.

16. tastyweat

tastyweat Member

I'm happy with that re-phrase... that's effectively what I'm trying to communicate :sunny:

17. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

tastyweat have you done any psychedelic drugs in the past month or so??

18. tastyweat

tastyweat Member

19. Dejavu

Dejavu Until the great unbanning

Both of you are trippin' :-D

Time is consciousness. Independent of nothing. There has never been an arrival at the instantaneous that has thereby stopped being one. Think about it? ;-D

20. tastyweat

tastyweat Member

I think time is a limitation of the physical world - consciousness is independent of that.