Thomas

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by TrippinBTM, Jun 18, 2006.

1. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

Just been wondering something. Why was Thomas given that nickname? Thomas means "twin", who is he the twin to?

2. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

I dunno. I was acctually wondering the same thing myself...

3. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

Do you know where in the bible this naming occurs? I don't really know where to look.

4. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

The only placed I noticed it was in John's chapters about the Ressurection...

I think in the NKJV when they talk about Thomas the wording is like ..."and Thomas, who is called the Twin..." or somethign like that

5. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

Anyone else know?

6. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

Looks liek not. I will have a look in my bible tonight to see if I can find the relevant passages and at lesat email some of my Christian friends for their opinions if they have ever heard why he is called the Twin.

7. Maz

Maz Member

Thomas is Aramaic for twin, Didymous is greek for same word. His real name was Judas the twin. Maybe this was Jesus's nick name for him that he was like a twin to him in his ministry and legends grew around that. I'm sure it's one of Jesus spiritual names, like the rock, sons of thunder, and magdalene can mean women's hairdressor an endearing name maybe instead of a town name
    Mazz

8. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

I think the point Brandon was trying to convey was that not What does Thomas mean, but What is the meaning of stressing "the Twin", whose twin was he, why does the twin not play a part in the gospels...and so forth

9. Kharakov

Kharakov ShadowSpawn

To make you think about it. :p

10. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

Haha. The fora would not be the same without you...