This tech will make freedom obsolete

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Resistance isn't futile, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Resistance isn't futile

Resistance isn't futile Member

2. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

I know, right?

[​IMG]

3. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

Stop being so dam paranoid. Enjoy life

4. Resistance isn't futile

Did you ever hear the story about the industrious squirrel that prepared all summer long for the winter while his neighbor did nothing but played?

Or how about the story of Pinochio where he played all day and eventually started to turn into a donkey.

There's a time for work and there's a time for play. And if we fail to address these issues now.... We're going to end up paying the price later.

5. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Now That You Mention It Yes I Do, If Memory Serves Me Well

That Squirrel's Name Was "Orison"...[​IMG]

Cheers Glen.

6. deleted

deleted Visitor

7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Why are you trying to make it look like being cautious and/or making cautious posts conflicts with enjoying life?

8. Resistance isn't futile

Because they don't want to know the truth.

There are many people in this world where life is nothing more than an eat, sleep, excrete experience that happens between birth and death.

They don't care and they don't want to care. To that effect they negate or make silly jokes and comments about anyone trying to educate them. (In this case I'm being called paranoid)

But for me the worst is if you do hapen to corner them with a good dose of reality, they just start offering thousands of excuses as to why they're powerless and can't help.

9. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

You don't have to talk about him like he isn't here, why don't you let him answer for himself instead of putting words in his mouth?

10. Inca

Inca Member

You still have not answered my question on why you use technology if you think it is the devil incarnate.

You don't need a cooker, washer, alarm, computer, tv, fridge, freezer, electric lights etc to live, so why do you use them?

Until you answer that, and get rid of non essential technology in your home, your message has no meaning, at least for me.

Spreading the word how technology destroys via your computer system is oxymoronic irony at its best :afro:

11. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

It is the best way to spread messages. It only seems pragmatic to me. But I too think she can better answer herself ;) :p

12. Inca

Inca Member

If it's the best way, then obviously technology is not the devil incarnate. In another thread regarding technology she really drives home how much she despises it and that it is completely negative and has no positive concept about it.

Hence my question then, and my question now. If someone really hates technology so much, and accuses others (us) of being ignorant, killing the environment and harming animals by using it, they should do everything in their power to not use it themselves.

The fact she uses it makes her just as guilty as the rest of us who she has accused. I bet she has a mobile phone too, but even if not, a true believer who stood by their convictions would not add leverage to the very thing they fight against.

Her response to my question last time was much the same as her response in this thread to another user - along the lines of how ignorant I am killing the universe/animals etc - how it will be too late, how I don't care and coupled with a video of dying animals.

The question was completely avoided. It is obvious she makes full use of technology while dictating how bad everyone else is for doing so.

13. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

That, is fucking awesome.

I wonder how long until radio shack will have them.

But they're off he mark with the explosive bugs. Think a ricin, or polonium, or botulin, or curare-type-poison armed fly-sized drone..... One second you're swatting a fly, the next you're dead of botulism.... must have eaten some moldy food :rolleyes:

14. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I don't know mane, I try not to get caught up in shit, I try to live in the moment and enjoy life....but that technology creeps me the fuck out.

You can't ruin your life by constantly worrying about the government or the economy or intrusive technology, but it is good to be aware in case things ever get to the point where it begins to interfere with your ability to live and enjoy your life.

15. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

you'll probably have a fucken stroke worrying about all this. Or strain ur neck looking up for cameras or drones :rolleyes:

16. deleted

deleted Visitor

the technology will bring freedom to those trapped in mines.. think of non military applications and you might see the light @ the end the tunnel.

17. QuietPerson

QuietPerson Member

Huh. I guess my technology rant gets to make its way to the Intertubes...I'll wake you when it's over, I promise.

I think before I can even establish a "pro-," "anti-," or other stance on something, I need to clarify for myself what it is I'm for, against, or something else. Being the stubborn, insane person I am, I generally take the third choice whenever possible, and here I think it is.

So anyway, what actually is this "technology" thing that some seem to be "for" and others "against"? Well, to me, it's actually pretty simple really. To me, technology is merely the application of knowledge. A stone axe, a nuclear missile, a rock thrown at a predator, a smartphone, mathematics, a guitar, a haiku, and Zen enlightenment all qualify as technology, because someone had to know something to produce all of them. Defining technology only in terms of one field is really limiting.

Our technological development has progressed hugely as of late. I remember when even this message itself would have gone out at maybe 2400bps, or been published in a paper zine, rather than online for all the world to see. We now have the technology to do damned near anything we want, as a species. I have a friend who follows physics news, and he has even seen articles on ways to work around some laws of physics to some limited extent. We have things like 3D printing, new forms of solar cells, and many other things that I think could really help a lot of people.

The problem is that, to a large extent, fear and profit have hijacked our technological progress, emphasizing the progress of physical technology over the progress of ethical technology. Yes, using our heads about what directions our technologies take, based on principles of empathy and the actual scientific method, is itself a technology.

To me, saying I'm "pro-technology" would be like saying I'm "pro-doing stuff," whereas saying I'm "anti-technology" would be like saying I'm "anti-doing stuff." It just depends on which "stuff" you mean. I would love to see a time when scarcity is mostly eliminated through technological means (as much as feasibly possible), and I'd also love to see a time when people realize that we're all individual humans instead of the labels people choose to stick on us or those we choose to stick on ourselves. I think both the reduction in scarcity and the increase in empathy might lead to a hall of a lot less scary uses for technology, rather than "Big Brother" style surveillance, weapons, and various horrendous control and tracking mechanisms. There are "nerds" out there who are working quite diligently against these control mechanisms, or working to bring more technology to more people in ways that are less dependent on those systems that most of us here find abhorrent.

Rush, which has always been one of my favorite bands, has a line in their song The Weapon: "...and the things that we fear are a weapon to be held against us." There are institutions, both governments and corporations, that would love for you to think they had "destroy[ed] freedom and happyness in this world." They would also love to divide and conquer people by getting them to mistrust each other based on a label like "nerd." So, as a self-identified "nerd," I'd like to take a moment to acknowledge that you're a human being who is genuinely concerned for the welfare of your fellow human beings. I find that works better than guilt by association.

Oops...almost forgot...you can wake up now. It's over. :)

18. Resistance isn't futile

Only a silly person crosses the street without looking to see if there wasn't a lorry comming towards them. If you love yourself and have love for others around you, then you make at least a minimum effort to be diligent and safe.

It's not asking a lot to be aware of what's going down around you and act prudently.

So you see there's really no stroke or neck strain involved.

19. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator

Technology is an awesome thing if used in the right way, to benefit mankind, not to control it. Certainly not to be used against innocent civilians, that have not been charged and judged by a jury of their peers.

If these Nerds, as you call them would use their brains for the good and not for the gov't to use to further their own means the world would be a better place.

The very idea of this, is a force to be reconed with and not let it slip in under the door. It is up to the citizen to prevent these things from being used.

We must stand together and not accept the plate of GMO fried shit they feed us. We all know it, it affects us all. and please remember the G in GMO means government, Government Modified Organisms.

Babylon is on the brink of extinction, the world as we 'knew' it is in crises and the fiddler plays with our lives, manipulating the strings of entrapment and dominance.

Where are our champions, our heroes, our knights in shinning armor, where the heck is the calvary. Where are our movers and shakers, where have they moved and what are they shakin'?

In the 60s, we hit the road running. We held it off as long as possible, we're dying off, the magic is dying with us. We need the youth, their strength and their fresh minds to keep up the good fight.

Take it to the streets, take it to the supreme courts and fight it with the U.S. Constitution and Bill Of Rights. Do it bc, if you don't, who will?

Who will save our earth and her people. Who will save the children.. Who will stand and vote for freedom and liberty. Canadians, Mexicans The Netherlanders. All our allies and any one interested in stopping this insanity, take action. Represent. Wake up and speak, while you still can.

Flood your representatives with phone calls, emails, letters and visits if possible. It's up to each of us to make on effort. If we do not act, it will be our own faults that we become further sheep/slaves to the system.

In my neck of the woods, we refer to these little bugs as " Target Practice"

20. Resistance isn't futile

I'm behind you 100%

I used to feel sorry for these "nerds" because they always seemed to be on the bad side of all the jokes and ridiculing. But as I got to know more and more of them I came to understand that what these little misfits are all about is gaining power and having their boots licked.

They have no problems doing the bidding of governmet, transnational corporations or any other branch of the establishment. Because in the end for them it's become a perverted version of game of warcraft played out for real. They want to be feared and they want to be gods.

Although it's a terriable and awful thing to say... But I can't help wondering if the proverbial highschool jock was doing us all a favor when he punched up the nerd. Again this is a terriable observation but the thought is there. ((I must think peaceful thoughts. ))