"This is your brain on meditation."

Discussion in 'Introduction to Buddhism' started by shaman sun, Oct 11, 2009.

1. shaman sun

shaman sun Member

Hey, I just was listening to a recent Buddhist Geeks interview with James Austin, author of Zen and the Brain. Found this to be really interesting. He analyzes types of attention, consciousness and the science behind kensho.

It's a two part, "This is your brain on meditation," and "The Mechanism of Kensho."

Here are some highlights from the transcript:

And from part two...

What are your thoughts on studying consciousness, meditation and neuroscience? To me it helps support the insights meditation and contemplative practice helps us develop. Many see spiritual experiences as hallucinogenic or delusional, a strange brain "malfunction." People like Austin, IMO, help dispel this bias and reveal the fascinating science behind spiritual practices.

2. Musikero

Musikero Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I have the audio podcasts but i haven't gotten around to listening to them.

3. Delfynasa

Delfynasa Member

I think people tend to see anything they don't understand in the brain as strange and delusional. This research will be great in showing that there are real and postive changes.
    Much that we now take for granted as 'real' was once thought
    to be imaginary or delusional.
    peace,
    Delfynasa

4. transvalescent

transvalescent Member

this is related to meditation i think... anyway.. newton's first law as applied to mind... f=ma..
    the force or impact an idea has is proportional to the breadth or scope of said idea and the speed with which it is accepted.. no... anyway i'm not allowd to start threads but i wanted to get this out there....