thinking of spending a few weeks in may exploring germany

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Tinkertiger, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Tinkertiger

Tinkertiger Member

am thinking of spending a few weeks in may exploring germany, but have no knowledge of the country at all.
    would hate to get back home and find i've missed some great places.
    i love wildlife and nature, friendly villages, out of the way places, so any recommendations?

2. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I don't know anything about germany really, so this is just my 2 cents

maybe do some couch surfing so that you can visit more out-of-the-way places

camping

travel books and videos

learn a little german, some basic phrases

3. Telepath

Telepath Banned

Google couch surfing, it's a website.
    Everyone below age 50 in Germany speaks English very well, in fact many advertisements are in English. I believe it is the second language there.
    You'll have no problem getting around. Just don't travel to France without knowing French ;)

4. harryoung

harryoung Guest

Alpine Road in Germany offers a nice drive and there are lot of things to explore on the way. The whole route is full of twists and offers a long list of attractions like Alpine meadows, hills, mountain peaks, lovely forests, and beautiful lakes. You will also find ancient towns, castles and churches along the way.

5. midgardsun

midgardsun Senior Member

6. harryoung

harryoung Guest

Bavaria is great destination in Germany. It offers a diverse range of attractions. You will find a lot of scenic beauty, wildlife, lovely castles and medieval towns in this area. Munich, The Romantic Road drive from the River Main to the Alps, Neuschwanstein castle, Nuremberg and Bavarian Forest national park are some of the major spots in Bavaria.

7. Tinkertiger

Tinkertiger Member

thank you for your replies everyone, going to check them all out and work out a route. :sunny:

8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

No... This isn't correct at all. We are taught English in school in Germany. Whether you remember it is another matter. My cousins never had much use for English in southern Germany so they've lost it and can't really communicate other than in German.
    If you travel to Dresden and other Eastern German towns and you can't speak German, don't try and order a taxi, they don't speak in English.
    Western Germany isn't so bad. Eastern Germany is a lottery. Either you meet people who can communicate in English or you don't. Some are better than others.
    On a positive note, there'll always be English speaking people around you, I'm just advising on the common misconception that Europe itself is a fluent English speaking continent because it's not. Poland has probably the best English speaking European culture, believe it or not.

Now as for your trip, I did this last spring myself, hire a small van size motorhome. I started from Munich and drove up the western side through Stuttgart, Franfurt, Köln. Then headed central into the Teutoberg Forrest into Hörn. Then North to Berlin through Magdeburg, Wolfsberg. Then travel south on the eastern side through Dresden, Leipzig etc. Avoid big cities, they're boring and all the same. Aim for country towns for experience.

9. marijuana strain reviews

marijuana strain reviews Member

If you can go on the month of October during Oktoberfest you will have a blast. But only if you like drinking beer that is.

10. Tinkertiger

Tinkertiger Member

not a beer drinker, and spring seems like a good time to go.:daisy:

and thank you for your suggestions Irminsul, want to keep away from cities, they're not for me. will be taking the car and a small tent, cheaper and easier than hiring something and more money for exploring and petrol, as this will probably be a one-off and want to see and experience as much as i can.:sunny:

11. harryoung

harryoung Guest

It is good to know that you are taking a car and small tent. Surely it will help to reduce some expenses and you can learn about the spots in a better way. Looking forward to hear about your trip experiences.

12. Tinkertiger

Tinkertiger Member

might have to postpone this for a while, personal/family reasons, gutted.:(