Thinking about moving to Alaska

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Sparling, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Sparling

Sparling Member

Hey guys,

My name is Rachel and I'm 27 years young. =) I am new to the site and joined in hopes to meet some people with the same interests as myself. I just got out of a 3yr relationship and I was thinking about going back to school. I live in MA. I'm thinking about picking up and moving to Alaska. I've never been there, but I've always wanted to. It is just so beautiful and unspoiled. I love nature and there is plenty of it there. I am going to try to enroll in the Alaska Pacific University's Outdoor Studies program. It's probably going to be about a year before I can move because I'm seriously broke! :eek: If anyone has any info or thoughts on Alaska or just wants to say hello please feel free to contact me! Thanks a bunch.

Cheers!

Rachel

2. Mrs. White

Mrs. White Member

If you can deal with the winters, Alaska is a wonderland in itself. My summers are spent camping and going to festivals and winter is snowboarding and making snow angels  there are so many places to go and see, everyone here that is Alaskan is very laid back and cool. It's kinda expensive for rent and to live, but it's worth it.

3. happywanderer

happywanderer Member

I was born in Fairbanks and adopted and raised in California. In 1980 I was given the chance to go back and meet my real family. I was suppose to stay only a month, and ended up staying for 8 years!
    Alaska is a fantastic place. Once your body adjust to the weather change it feel's pretty common.
    I have seen the very northern edge, Kaktovik, and down to Anchorage. As well as all point between.
    People there are more ladi back and sharing.
    Just yesterday I was asked if I would like to stay where I am or return to Alaska!!!!
    Damn if my heart isn't screaming to return!

4. LorettaYoungSilks

LorettaYoungSilks Member

I would simply say if Alaska is where your heart is set, then follow your heart.

I am going there this winter for 5 weeks, will be fun.

5. cookiecache

cookiecache Member

People who move to Alaska are usually either running to something, or from something. I came to Alaska lured by the expansive wilderness. Having found what I was looking for, it is unlikely I will ever live any other place.

Which type of person are you?

grimsgurl and slaveofthesystem like this.
  6. Ross13f

Ross13f Guest

hey there, been looking into alaska for a while now. im 21 years old, love the outdoors, snowboarding, fishing and hunting. I live in maine, but currently am deployed in afghanistan im about 40 days from going home, and i will be out of my military contract april 2012 and plan on heading that way, so about a year from now, but was just looking to find somone in the anchorage area that can help me out with some info! feel free to say hi!!

7. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Welcome to the site my friend!

I am sorry your relationship ended :(

I wish you luck if you do decide to head north :)

8. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

It does look beautiful, I just can't STAND any temperature below 60 degrees...

grimsgurl likes this.
  9. Dude111

Ya its not for everyone!!!

You gotta love winter!!! (Although Last summer fairbanks got into the 80s which is amazing for alaska)

10. wa bluska wica

wa bluska wica Pedestrian

lots of talk about the cold, which is not that bad, really

the thing that freaks some people out about alaska is the dark

11. Dude111

Yes but the constant 'daytime' in the summer must be wierd!!

Imagine going to Taco Bell @ 2am and having it be sunny,warm?

12. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

Today I bought a 1-way ticket to Anchorage. I arrive there March 31, 2012.

13. Dude111

I do hope ya like it there!!! (Ya gotta be able to stand the cold for sure!!)

14. Harry.july

Harry.july Guest

I want to emigrate there aswell,i love the natural beauty,hunting,winter.pretty much everything alaska has to offer.I want to move there after i surve my time in the british army,then ill become a cop.

15. mgblue

mgblue Guest

maybe u should SE alaska around ketchikan area. not nearly as cold as up north in alaska, only gets to about -10F here in prince of wales island.

16. CharleneB84

CharleneB84 Guest

I've been to Alaska last summer and I loved it, I would love to move up there myself I'm going back up this summer for work, it truly is untouched country so so much beauty,

17. deleted

deleted Visitor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSt0NEESrUA"]North To Alaska ~ Johnny Horton - YouTube

1 person likes this.