Things that will be 20 yrs old in 2019

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Dec 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Haha.. Whoops. Okay : D

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I have a folder on a hardrive with all the songs I downloaded from Napster or Morpheus lol. Probably a few trojan horses in there too. :p

Back when it was awesome to wait 4hrs and 15mins for a song to download. :p

Napster chat was also actually pretty cool I remember I met some nice people through there.

Orison and tumbling.dice like this.
  3. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Since VG expanded the parameters

30 years ago In Alaska's Prince William Sound the Exxon Valdez spilled 11 million gallons of oil after running aground

[​IMG]

4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

No, I just sound immature sometimes because I never bred, thus never had to deal with that level of responsibility.

48 this year, which I thought was old before I read glenglens post

5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Metallica was right though, it did end up killing music, rock and metal especially

6. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Thanks for your support Glen. 18 days to go. Please do NOT send me a birthday card. :yum::yum::yum:

7. themnax

themnax Senior Member

well for one thing, in 1999 i'd been on hips for somewhere close to or around one year, and everyone was saying the sky was gonna fall in the year 2000.
    i remember that discussion and i remember it going on here.
    that was the last year my wife and my mother were both alive at the same time, and my dad had been dead for less then ten years.
    i remember the internet being mostly still a nerd hangout, that it had yet to be totally over run by dot coms.
    there wasn't wifi yet, but you got some web space for free along with two email channels from your local isp, and they were still local and diverse, not yet gobbled up by big national or international names. even earthlink that was soon swallowed up itself, was a step away from being the small nerd enclave that it was.
    and it was more international in the sense that there was little in the way of nations regulating it internally. it was kind of considered sacred for individual nations to not mess with it, like the international space treaty.

that whole thing with the buildings in new york hadn't happened yet, i think that was the biggest thing, and before that, we stood, the planet, on the brink of world peace. not that that had happened yet, not saying that, but there was real hope for it, and a feeling we were almost there.

8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

yah, i remember before that became corporatized and regulated. before the court cases that forced that to happen. that's where the internet died from being the last free country when that happened.

9. RubySoho6

RubySoho6 Organized Chaos

My marriage turns 20 this year.

I turned 40.

JoeyTribbiano and Irminsul like this.
  10. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

20 years ago Students Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold killed 12 students, 1 teacher, then killed themselves at the Columbine High School Massacre in Littleton CO

11. Libbygrable87

Libbygrable87 Members

Thank you guys for making me feel so old! I miss those days so much they were so much simpler. I was eleven and in this 5th grade.

12. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

You seem like such a decisive person. You married young, got a career right away--knew exactly what you wanted from a young age.

13. It will be my 20 year class reunion. I won't be attending.

Also, when Britney sang "Hit me baby one more time" was she talking about sex?

14. Libbygrable87

Libbygrable87 Members

I think she was but I am not for sure.

15. RubySoho6

RubySoho6 Organized Chaos

I really am. Patience isn't something I have a lot of. I had to grow up fast. In some ways I guess I was mature beyond my years at an early age. Typically my decisions have worked out for me. No regrets.

16. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

you must not be from a small town if this sounds unusual to you.

i think half my high school class was married and doing whatever job they're doing now by the time they were 20.

17. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

yeah, no

I'm going to go with what undies said

18. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I'm from a smaller town, but probably not as small as you. I think our slight age difference might come into play here, or perhaps the different parts of the country that we are from. The trend with millennials is to have career indecisiveness, try on about 40 different jobs, get a few different degrees, complain about "adulting", get married in your 30's, hook up a lot but never really settle down in your 20's. I can think of only a small handful of people from my high school who got married before age 21 or who settled into their career before that age.

Not sure which method is better, or if one is.

19. Meliai

Meliai Banned

From coming across this and that person's facebook page from high school over the years, i've noticed that not only did a lot of old high school aquaintances marry relatively young but they also ended up with their high school sweetheart. Which I suppose is sweet and romantic but the thought of ending up with my old high school boyfriend weirds me out, I really cant imagine it

20. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Living in any of the same towns that I grew up in weirds me out a bit, but I am not sure that there is a good reason for that. There is, at least among folks that I know, a stigma against staying in the town where you were raised, or marrying someone you went to high school with. Why is that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.