Thick Soles

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by Alan33466, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Alan33466

Alan33466 Member

On a barefoot forum at MySpace a hardcore barefoot lady posted that she was putting up posters and stepped on a thumbtack with her heel. She said it went all the way in and she felt nothing, no hurt or blood and she just pulled it out.
    I'm a part time barefooter, I have to wear shoes at work, and my heel is not even close to being that thick. Can you hardcore barefooters do this and just how thick can your soles get???

2. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

I love having tough soles, so that gravel and even some thorns don't cause any real damage and it doesn't hurt to step onto any small thing. But I'm not sure that not feeling a thumbtack at all is a good thing... Pain or at least sensing stuff is important, for if we get something in our foot and don't pull it out, it can do more damage or get infected. It shouldn't be a big deal like it is when a sensitive shoddie steps on something, but I do want to keep *noticing* it! The one time I heard about someone stepping on a tack without noticing it & walking on it for some time, that person had diabetes and that explained the lack of sensitivity. Toughness is NOT the same as an absense of all sensitivity!

3. Alan33466

Alan33466 Member

She knew it was there but her callous is so thick it did not hurt. I have seen your foot photo and your heel is very thick.

4. Barefoot Guy

Barefoot Guy Member

I have tough feet, not bothered by gravel, hot pavement, or small glass. I would "consider the source" of the claim of not feeling a thumb tack. With a shaft length of 1/4" I am certain you would feel that even with very tough feet. I have some tough feet pictured in my Gallery.

This is the Internet. One can claim to be any gender, age, have any ability without providing any proof thereof.

5. Alan33466

Alan33466 Member

That's a great point Braefoot Guy......By the way, did I tell you that I can bench press 600 lbs...............

6. Alan33466

Alan33466 Member

Sorry Barefoot Guy, not Braefoot!

7. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

I got one drawing pin in my left big toe. It didnt penetrate to the head, but for about 3/4 of its lenght. It did hurt, but the tiny wound didnt bleed and pulling it out required some effort.

8. Cool Spruce

Cool Spruce Member

Yeah I'd feel a thumbtack, and depending on where it stuck me, it might still be painful. Probably never in my arches, though. They're quite high. So in the ball of the foot or the heel. I'd feel it, and immediately yank it out. I've had very minor infections from thorns. I don't need it.